Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Huntingnet Promotes Hunts Behind Fences! >

Huntingnet Promotes Hunts Behind Fences!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Huntingnet Promotes Hunts Behind Fences!

Old 12-10-2003, 10:56 AM

Default Huntingnet Promotes Hunts Behind Fences!

I got an email from this site promoting great deals, one was their featured outfitter "Old Stone Fence" which is a captive game farm offering canned hunts behind a fence. Basically pay a fee walk in and shoot the farm raised animal that has no fear of humans. Is this what we want to promote as hunting? The text of the ad said:

Tired of traveling, spending money and coming home with Nothing to show for it?!? Call us and book your successful trophy hunt TODAY!! We offer fully guided and safe hunts incorporating fair chase rules.
In other words lazy and just want to shoot a big one to brag to your buddys? How can hunting that involves farm raised animals even be considered under fair chase rules? Who's rules are these anyway, certianly not B&C or P&Y. How can any hunt that offers a 100% kill rate be fair chase? If we don't take a stand now this will be the future of hunting, total privatization of the sport. I bet the real outfitters out there who hunt wild animals are unhappy to be associated with this industry that has been trying to make us all believe that what they do is called hunting. It's not, it's called shooting.

I for one will not buy anything promoted on this site, and will write the website owners.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:08 AM

Default RE: Huntingnet Promotes Hunts Behind Fences!

I for one will not buy anything promoted on this site, and will write the website owners. If you want a good forum that doesn't promote shooting fish in a barrel go to the bowsite
And so the real agenda raises its head and speaks - taking with it all the credibility of what was spoken.

I wouldn't go on that hunt if it is what you say it is - but it is legal - and my own way of hunting is not the holly grail of others.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:28 AM

That is certianly NOT my agenda. Only offering an alternative, one that doesn't promote canned "hunts" to those who don't know. Take a look around you, this industry is slowly making in roads into our sport. It's all part of the plan by the game farm industry. As a life member here you should know better than to brush this off as a personal agenda.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If what was described is accurate, I would not hunt there. I really would hope the Huntingnet.com would not endorse such a thing either. I hope this does not offend the fine people of this site also. I come here almost daily and enjoy the forums. But supporting a captive hunt is not hunting.

On the other hand, if the hunt is taking place on free roaming animals that are in a fenced in 10.000 acre ranch or something to that extent, thats different in my opinion. The free roaming range of most whitetails is not even close to that.

I'm not saying that my form of hunting is considered holy or anything, but I am ethical about my hunting decisions. If P&Y or B&C wont except it, it may be an issue as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:35 AM

Stick

I did not see the add - do not know about the "farm"

So I really can't comment on anything more then the obvious.

And I am still on the fence when it comes to these canned hunts. There existence does not anger me like it does you and some others.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will pass your concerns onto the administrators of the forum.

Personally, I would not hunt in a situation such as what you described though I did not see the advertisement either.

Now as for the fight site..uhh, I mean the Bowsite..that is another matter entirely.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess he read Stealthycats post yesterday on the Bowsite about this and came over to check it out.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I checked in to the Old Stone Fence a while back and on their site and talking with them in person it sounded like a good guided hunt with great potential. How ever, when I called them back to possible book a hunt the $ came up and you pay for how big you kill. The guy told me they would "release" the animal you bought and you could kill it in the woods. I guess that is where their "fair chase" comes into play. However I am sure huntingnet is not able to look over and pick apart each advertiser. If it bothers you that much, make them aware of the situation and go from there.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure its hard to check out the scruples of each advertiser, even legalities may be involved, I have no idea about that.

Contact Hunting.net with your concerns.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:46 PM

I will contact the site. I guess my real concern is the fair chase statement, as if they are trying to disguise this as a real hunt (and an outfitted one to boot). I had an issue with the NRA hunting mag too earlier this year, they had a story of a guy who hunted a game farm in UT. He said it was the hardest hunt he has ever been on, but guess what, he shot a nice bull I think the first day. Since the back of the mag is full of advertisements for these places they never printed my letter, and I am a life member.

There is certianly a gray area as far as size, but these animals are raised by humans just to be shot. They are not wild. The fenced area is irrelevant. Anyone here remember the old CBS "documentary" The Guns of Autumn? Game farms are what they portrayed as hunting in the US and it probably turned more people into anti hunters than anything else. That is my concern with trying to integrate captive shoots with hunting wild animals.

Quick Reply: Huntingnet Promotes Hunts Behind Fences!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.