Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A question on treestands. >

A question on treestands.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A question on treestands.

Old 01-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default A question on treestands.

I have several portable treestands, both hanging and ladder stands.

My question is this, does anyone leave their stands out year round? See my problem is that my property is about 115 miles from where I live, so its not like driving around the corner. I was wondering if it was ok, or safe to leave them up all year long.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A question on treestands.

had my best stand stole right off the 'back 40' back home. Considering I was the only one with permission to hunt the land I was quite suprised...learned my lesson once, never again will I leave them up!
Old 01-04-2002, 02:52 PM

My brother left his up for 2 years and hunted 3 seasons out of it. It was a hang on and he never had a problem. So if you asked him he would say its safe.
I just took mine down today.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Truthfully......unless you also leave angry guard dogs behind as well, I'd say chances are your stands will not be waiting for you when you get back.

For some reason in this day and age people seem to find it perfectly normal to steal stands......private land , public land it doesn't matter. Someone WILL find them and there's a good chance that person will be using your stand next year instead of you.

It's a shame to feel that way about your fellow man......let alone your fellow hunter, but it seems to be a sad fact of life hunting these days.

If I were you I'd hang them right before you will be using them.......especially ladder stands.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have 24 stands(at least) out right now, and some have been out for 3 years. I wouldn't do it with a strap-on, or one with a cotton/light weight seat. I figure If someone finds out I have 30+ stands in my garage-their gone, but if I leave them out in the woods, no one has found them yet. They better get all my cameras too because it only takes one picture for them to rack up some fines( I'd probably have a little "chat" with them first).

If you leave them out, buy a chain-on, one with steel tubing for platform support-not cable, and one with a sturdy seat, say heavy nylon webbing...like a Blackwater Creek.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:07 PM

Matt,
I would not call anyone a fellow hunter, that would take anothers stand.But you are right,it does happen often.In Vt. we can't leave our stands in the woods year round by law.I don't know if there is a similar law where you live but I'd check it out.I usually take a day after the season and pull as many stands as possible.

GOOD HUNTING,BRIAN
Old 01-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

My dads' ladder stand has been out for the past 3 years. We just moved it this past year. It is locked on and on private property. That doesn't make it safe but so far it has been undisturbed. The drawback I see (other then theft or vandalism) for ladder stands is that water can get into the main legs and freeze and burst the metal. This happened to a friends the one year he left it out but hasn't to my dads.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:53 PM

I HUNT ABOUT THE SAME DISTANCE FROM MY HOUSE ALSO AND I'VE LEFT HANG ON STANDS OUT FOR AWHILE. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT RIGHT ON A ROAD OR 4 WHEELER TRAIL AND IT'S A HANG ON STAND, YOU CAN FOLD IT UP AGAINST THE TREE AND PUT A COUPLE OF LEAFY BRANCHES UP THERE IF IT'S NOT HIDDEN REAL GOOD, AND MOST PEOPLE WON'T SEE IT AT ALL. UNLESS OF COURSE IF THEY'RE OUT THERE LOOKING FOR STANDS TO STEAL. I USUALLY PUT A CABLE LOCK AROUND MINE ALSO. AND MINE ARE USUALLY AROUND 20' OFF THE GROUND.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:41 PM

I wouldnt take a chance on my stands gettin stold. I always take my stands down at the end of season.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:43 PM

Between myself,my son,and a friend,we've lost 6 stands that were all locked in the last 3 years.And none of them where close to the road or a 4-wheeler trail.If the WRONG people find your stand,it'll probably come up missing.

Quick Reply: A question on treestands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.