Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever fallen out of a tree? >

Ever fallen out of a tree?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever fallen out of a tree?

Old 12-09-2003, 12:25 AM

Default Ever fallen out of a tree?

I was wondering how many of you have fallen, or nearly fallen, out of your treestands, or on the way up to them, with a harness on or not.

I was setting a stand up in a hemlock, climbing up the branches, when the one limb that I was holding onto broke. I was only ten feet high, but I landed on an old house foundation, and was 3 inches away from putting a 4 inch piece of steel into my lung. Then to top it off, the treestand landed on my head. I was hurtin, but hung that stand and headed home.

Other that that, I havn't had any close calls. I don't wear a saftey harness, and hunt at 20 feet, so If I do fall, I guess im screwed.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:00 AM

Default RE: Ever fallen out of a tree?

[] You hunt 20 feet up & don't wear a harness [] it's obvious that you did injure yoru brain on your first fall!!!!!!!! NO offence intended but only an idiot would be in a tree stand without a safety harness of some sort!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 12-09-2003, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

I really can't imagine a reason not to wear a safety harness.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several years ago I was strapped in it just happened to be the same limb I was on a reall crazy shaped limb you had to see it anyway it was raining when 4 deer came in and I drew and released on one I heard acrack and the limb I was on broke in the position I was in I fell head first about 12 feet it knocked me out when I awoke I was covered in about 6 inches of snow so I was out awhile. I was 7 miles from my camper and on a motorcycle I believe it is the coldest I have ever been in my life I did make it back ok but I had phneumonia and to this day I still get to shaking when I get too cold and have to even stop driving when it happens. Now for the rest of the story when I fell there was a man in a tree about 50yds to my left he was watching me during the whole thing as the deer had started toward him then turned to me I didnt know him I did see my arrow hit the deer seemed to be a perfect shot at 10 feet. Naturally there was no trail due to snow but how could he leave me lying there I will never know. I do know at that time he drove a 77 blue ford truck as I saw him get out of it and go up the tree. I looked for that truck for a long time. All this being said never ever hunt in atree without being strapped in even a few feet up can be deadly and do not strap to the same limb no matter how big.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 AM

I fell out climbing up to stand this year, but I have never fallen out while in the stand, I always use a safety harness and all the good stuff!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:21 AM

there are only two types of tree stand users, those that have already fallen out and those that are going to fall out. always wear a harness.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was climbing in the climber and the strap broke that I use to tie the halfs together and the bottom fell to the bottom of the tree. I was about 12' up.

I let go and grabbed the tree and skinned it down to the bottom. Then I used a stick to get the top part down.

The next time I had 2 NEW straps on the stand.

That is an awful feeling.[:@]
Old 12-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

yup when I was young & dumb. 10 ft drop when a limb branch broke, no safety belt of course. landed right on my butt. Knocked the wind out of me. Scared the crap out of me too. I just sat there for a while making sure I was ok. I thought for sure I'd been hurt. I was lucky. I always wear safety harness's now. Your an IDIOT if you don't!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:50 AM

THe only time was after arrowing my first deer, i was shaking so bad i almost lost it , but other than that nope. i try my best to be safe.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM

I fell "off" of my stand the Saturday before last. I had a buck come in at 12 yds I drew on him and was leaning on my climbing seat so I could shoot around a limb that was in my way. Right before I was ready to release the seat slid around the tree and I did a backwards swan dive off my stand, the arrow shot off way up in the air (never to be found), but the full body harness I was wearing caught me and I just swung harmlessly around the tree. Scared the crap out of me, but I didnt get hurt, if I hadnt been wearing my strap I doubt I would be typing this right now. I have always worn a saftey strap, but until you have a close call its easy to take that little nylon strap for granted.

Quick Reply: Ever fallen out of a tree?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.