Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 using a crossbow? >

using a crossbow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

using a crossbow?

Old 12-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: using a crossbow?

We like to argue....so get over it![X(][>:]

Old 12-16-2003, 08:58 AM

As far as I am concerned crossbows are fine for the bow season. I read a few of the other posts but not all of them. Others have made fine arguments and it's an interesting debate. However, I believe the goal of most is for the sport of hunting to expand and grow and like it or not crossbows used during bow season can have a positive impact.

TBO
Old 12-16-2003, 09:02 AM

silentassassin - Thanks for your input. Have you hunted Shirey Bay yet this year ? I'm going up there mid January to turkey/deer hunt in a few of those waterfowl rest areas when they reopen.

Those loud ones went my the wayside a few years back. My compounds are really no louder than my recurve
Everyone don't use Q2's or tune their compounds. Lots of loud compounds still being used.

It is needs to be HAND DRAWN...AND HAND HELD.

This is what seperates the two weapons.
Cool. As much difference as there is between a compound and crossbow 9regarding draw and holding weight - so is there evry bit as much, or MORE - difference between compounds and recurves/longbows. by your own definition of seperation, lets put componds into their own season, right ?

Obviously the VAST majority of state wildlife agencys agree with the above opinion, although a few, very few, have caved to the crying of late.
Thats driven by the PBS and their cronies, but times are changing.

If, and this is a big if, but if crossbow hunters are as a whole, MORE unethical in regards to shot placement, then we need to limit that mentality.
Can't be proved. I betcha gun hunters are THE most unethical group of them all.

nitro23 - Now thats a hell of an argument !
Old 12-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd intended to forget this idiocy, but nitro's remarks demand a comment.

all of you all are like little kids. we are all deer hunters and love to do it so get over it !
We're all deer hunters and love to do it, so get over it. Since we're all deer hunters, then we should ALL of us be lumped into one free-for-all general weapons deer season. Is that what you're saying, nitro?

That's what we've got in Texas, after our October bow season. That's when you find out who REALLY wants to hunt with a crossbow... or bow, for that matter. During general season, I see a few other bowhunters every year. Over the past 15 years - since they were legalized - I've only seen ONE crossbow hunter.

But as far as bow season goes, you're right. It IS like a bunch of little kids in the neighborhood sandlot. Everyone wants to play baseball, but one sniveling little brat wants to use a soccerball instead of a baseball. When everyone else says no, then the brat goes crying to mama. "They won't let me play with them! WAAAAAHHHH"

That's the mentality I see. Same mentality I saw over P&Y's letoff issue. P&Y got tired of listening to the bawling. The crossbow crowd is hoping to get the same results from the game commissions.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 AM

Big Country - Here's an idea ........ pick your weapon. Make it a rifle tag, a muzzleloader tag or a bow tag and you cannot hunt in the others seasons. Do that and you'll really know who loves their equipment and who's doing the 2 season hunter tango.

Will that cure the being unethical part ? Partially, because if you knew you could only hunt with your bow, maybe that'd be more incentive to get good with it (be it compound, crossbow or recurve/longbow.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

It is needs to be HAND DRAWN...AND HAND HELD.

This is what seperates the two weapons.

Cool. As much difference as there is between a compound and crossbow 9regarding draw and holding weight - so is there evry bit as much, or MORE - difference between compounds and recurves/longbows. by your own definition of seperation, lets put componds into their own season, right ?

You are waaaayyy off base here, and you know it! Not even a nice try.

quote:

Obviously the VAST majority of state wildlife agencys agree with the above opinion, although a few, very few, have caved to the crying of late.

Thats driven by the PBS and their cronies, but times are changing.
I am pretty sure that these laws precluded any attention that may have been given to the matter by PBS.

You are correct though, times are changing. I can remember when children were respectful to the elders. Sometimes change is not a good thing.

quote:

If, and this is a big if, but if crossbow hunters are as a whole, MORE unethical in regards to shot placement, then we need to limit that mentality.

Can't be proved. I betcha gun hunters are THE most unethical group of them all.
Hey, you may have finally got one right!
Of course it would be very difficult to prove that crossbow hunters are less ethical than compound hunters percentage wise. I honestly hope they are more ethical, because we sure need a boost in that department.

Now, to the rifle hunter comment. Most rifle hunters are ethical hunters, I am sure you would agree. I will agree that the percentage of unethical hunters is higher in the rifle hunter category.

Why, because they don`t feel the need to practice, be dedicated, be a good hunter. Kinda like the mentality of the healthy crossbow hunters I know![]
Old 12-16-2003, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, pick your weapon! I agree that may very well make people concentrate more on just what they are doing.

I would hate to see that kind of legislation/limitation put on anybody though.

Not a bad train of thought though!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:37 AM

Arthur P - Well hell, is you only saw 1 crossbow hunter in TX, its gospel nationwide then huh ? P&Y has nothing to do with game management, they have nothing to do with game laws. They are a private organization that is driven by $$

You are waaaayyy off base here, and you know it! Not even a nice try.
Prove it

Sometimes change is not a good thing
I'll agree with that.

Of course it would be very difficult to prove that crossbow hunters are less ethical than compound hunters percentage wise.
Not according to a couple of guys here !
Old 12-16-2003, 09:45 AM

Arthur,it is legal here and i use one it dont matter to me if you use a compound,longbow, crossbow or whatever we are all doing the same thing (bow hunting)
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 AM

Crossbows are legal in Georgia, from what I hear talking to people that use them it isn't any easier on the horizontal side than the verticle side.

Quick Reply: using a crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.