Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you have late season success? >

Do you have late season success?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you have late season success?

Old 12-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do you have late season success?

I was wandering how you guys do in late season? This is only my second year
bow hunting and I didnt do any late season bow hunting last year. Compare your late season to your early season as far as deer sighted.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you have late season success?

Quite a bit less deer. Or just as many but they come in after dark.

Once gun season lets up I usually see just as many deer but the big bucks will let the does go into the 'danger' zone and follow later. And I mean later, I have seen bucks stay 100 - 150 yards away until the does fed for an hour or more then they slip in real slow.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:44 AM

I love late season hunting. It seems the pressure is lighter, the deer have had some time to settle back into patterns, and if the timings right you might catch the 2nd rut.

I always hunt food in the latter part of the season.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

This has been a popular response on this subject. A lot of guys say the woods get back to normal and they see just as many deer as early season. Personally it's a continuation of late gun season for me. I see next to no deer. The woods around me have been fairly calmed down too, I just dont' have any luck in late season. Perhaps it takes longer in my neck of the woods for them to get back to their routine. I'll be out there either way. good luck.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Late season so far this year has been AWFUL!!![:@] The last 4+ times I've been out, I haven't seen a single deer. Muzzleloader season opened a couple weeks ago and the group of guys that showed up for that have made the deer go nocturnal (thanks in large part to day long deer drives). I think I'm done hunting for a couple weeks until muzzleloader season is done with.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:37 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

You will not have any success in the late season.......unless you are in the woods. From my experience every hour I spend in the woods brings me closer to my next kill. It also seems to be getting easier for me as well.

David
Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 PM

just had some game camera film developed, had 24 pictures taken in 4 days, all were does except 1 6pt. all pictures were taken between midnight and 4:30am. except 1 which was a trespasser at 2:59 pm, so around here they have gone the nocturnal route.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:11 PM

There is something about sitting in freezing temps and desolate woods that I like. I never harvested a second season deer with a bow, but have come close on several occasions. I cannot wait to get back out. Hopefully we will have snow after Christmas. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:58 PM

You bet. I have killed four deer and have killed two during muzzleloader, one on thanksgiving, and the other the thursday after deer season started. 3 of them were killed in the middle of the day. i dont have early season success, but im only 16 so next year i hope to change it.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I certainly won't say that the late season is THE time to be out there, I can say that on MANY seasons I have seen my biggest buck of the year sometime over Christmas vacation which is usually 2 to 3 weeks for us. The best buck I've got an arrow into during this time was a 150 class and a couple seasons ago we were hunting a nice 160 class 5x5 with a 10" droptine. I didn't take this buck but my huntin buddy did and it was during mid-December. I have seen a handful of true B&C deer during this time period so don't be afraid to do some sub-zero hardcore bowhuntin'. As one post above mentioned, you can't get one staying at home and every hour spent in the stand puts you that much closer to baggin' that monster buck. Once the snow stays it does tend to concentrate deer at feeding area which in my parts are always isolated cornfields. Good luck and good huntin'

Quick Reply: Do you have late season success?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.