Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HELP!!  No Deer here >

HELP!! No Deer here

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! No Deer here

Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 PM

Default HELP!! No Deer here

My neighbor feeds the local deer so much that I feel like sneeking into his yard to get me one. He told me that he is spending $20 every 4 days on corn. I have heard that too much corn is not good for deer. Of course they like/need the carbs now because it is so cold. I'm only on 2 acres but overlook a farm field that I can also hunt. My stand is on the back edge of my yard in the tree row at the edge of the farm field.

The deer have all but dissapeared. I saw (after rain/warm) many sets of tracks on the dirt road in front of my feeding neighbors house going from his yard to the woods across the street. I think the deer are only going from his yard to the thick stuff. I watch and see them all summer in the field and on the fringes but now they don't need to go there. Two days after a 2 inch snow there was one lousy set of tracks going by my stand. I sure would like to do a little December Bow hunting but I'm freezing without even seeing anything.

My question is.. What can I offer as bait/food to the deer that they WILL come?
I'm looking for MAGIC here. I have some carrots out but they don't get touched anymore. I'm willing to put out a smorgasboard if nessecary. Do I need a hot buffet for them? Molasses? salt, sugar, beets, apples??
Old 12-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HELP!! No Deer here

A sure fire can't miss for any deer... North or South... is raw peanuts in the shell. They're very expensive. I think 100 pounds will run you close to $90 here at the local Southern States. I have a few deer in the yard every night. They come about 1/2 mile from the nearest woods to my yard. Right now I just chop up about 6 apples and put out a couple 2 pound coffee cans of corn. About once a year I splurg and buy a bag of peanuts. I only sprinkle a few in the corn. I haven't done that yet this year. I'll wait until Jan or so.

I too have heard that all corn is NOT good for deer. Just as feeding them is not good. I spread my nightly tid bits around in different places in the yard. I just broadcast the corn and apples. That way there isn't so much nose to nose feeding etc. I probably have a half dozen minimum every night so they're not getting their whole quota of food on corn and apples. About 3 years ago I had 17 different deer in the yard one night. I don't see as many as I used to. I'm sure someone is sneaking into their little sanctuary and whacking one now and then. The largest bucks have disappeared so I know something is going on.

I think you're wrong about the deer not moving far from his yard. You'd be surprised how far they travel. There may be only one set of tracks by your stand for a reason. The reason is probably... It's YOur stand. You've been patterned. You got to have more than one spot to hunt and rotate often... no more than a couple times a week in one spot and that's too often for me. You say you had snow. Just take a walk and find out where they are traveling and going. Sometimes a scouting trip is much more valuable than sitting in "THE STAND".
Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 PM

Thanks a ton davidmil.

I actually use the stand sparingly. I drive to two other pieces of private land to keep the pressure off my little hot-spot (at least it used to be) I have taken a buck and a doe this year from the stand, both with the bow, but that was in Late Oct and early Nov. I only was on the stand 3 days during our 15 day shotgun season. Bow is in effect for all of Dec and for a week in the middle it is Blackpowder. I am also very careful of wind direction and won't go out if it is not right. My scent-lock clothes and scent free everything else let me usually have deer right under my stand. I don't want to look greedy here. I have 4 growing boys who love venison. I had promised a deer to friends of the family and gave one to them. For the last 3 yrs my boys, wife and I have ran out of venison way before the next season with two in the freezer each winter.

I might have to try peanuts. How about peanut butter? I have heard of people smearing it on the bark of trees for the deer to lick. Does it really work?

Come on peeps..what is your magic recipe for drawing them in?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:50 PM

Try talking to the land owner about hunting some of the deer from his land. Or sneak on there. LOL
Old 12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two things:

Cabbage. Some deer love it, others won't touch it. But when they do love it, look out! I've seen deer travel into rural towns and raid the cabbage piles locals have stock piled for the hunters. They can't sell it all fast enough before the deer wipe it out.

Get a bail of pure alphalfa hay or at least very close to it. Keep the twine around the bail. Set it out by your stand and pour generous amounts of molasses, a bunch of cans of melted apple juice concentrate, and a bottle of vanilla. Saturate the hay with this stuff and you'll have to be careful getting to your stand through all the deer running to it.

Another thing I'm going to try this year is horse sweet feed. It's pelleted food and oats soaked in molasses. It's like cocaine for the horses, so I figure the deer would love it too.

Good luck and good hunting.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:29 PM

Noooooooo way of hunting on the neighbors property. I think his wife has names for all"her" deer. I was grateful that he granted me permission to track a buck across his property this fall. He said, "don't tell my wife".

Alfalfa/hay eh? From a farm supply or feed store i would guess. Thanks for the recipe. Where in the heck would I find a 100 lb bag of peanuts in the shell?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Farm supply store. Down here we have Southern States. You might not be able to get them up north. The hay bail all doctored up sounds a lot less expensive.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use 16% sweetfeed.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use 16% sweetfeed!!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey farmcntry - what do you mean by "16% sweetfeed"? You mixing it with something else or is this how it's sold? Have you had good response from the deer using it?

Quick Reply: HELP!! No Deer here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.