Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Want to go Hog hunting.  Any suggestions, tips? >

Want to go Hog hunting. Any suggestions, tips?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Want to go Hog hunting. Any suggestions, tips?

Old 12-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Want to go Hog hunting. Any suggestions, tips?

I would really like to go shoot a hog this winter. Ive heard some state have no limit, no license and some places no season. Is this true? I' ve also heard many farmers will welcome you because they want to get rid of them.

Any suggestions and information on states or areas that would be good. I like to do it mostly myself. I' m not looking for a guided hunt or a penned hunt.

thanks!
Old 12-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Want to go Hog hunting. Any suggestions, tips?

C9.
Here in Texas there is no limit or season on wild hogs you can hunt them 24/7 if you wanted too.
Not sure but I think you would have to have a hunting licence.

The big trouble would be finding a place to hunt them without paying a high fee.

We do have an abundance of them on my lease which we are going to try and get under control at the end of deer season.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:41 PM

It' s the same way here in Ok but you won' t find them unless you get down to the TX line. I went on a hunt near Paris,TX last year cost was around 150.00 per day and was fenced but covered close to 100 acres. Had a blast and if you had to travel a great distance I would think you would at least get some shoting done. If you would like I could get the info to you.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:09 PM

In Arkansas you can hunt them all year, no seasons. If they are around, they will come to corn. I get many chances at hogs while deer hunting.
good luck
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Florida there is an open season on hogs. No limit. However, on public land there is a closed season and hunting hogs is not allowed. Hogs may be hunted during deer season, and small game season on public land.

When you are hunting hogs, put rubber gloves on before you start to field dress, as there is a blood borne disease you can get from hogs.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:21 AM

We have lots of hogs south of where I live but they are hard to hunt, maybe harder than deer. Our conservation regulation book urges everyone to " shoot them on sight" because they are a nuisance and the conservation dept them gone, no season, no tags, but you may need a hunting liscense. Its fun but you may have better success in a place like Texas.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:52 AM

I went to Boar Creek in Cuyaga Texas last year. It is a fenced hunt and they had alot of hogs. The guy they have as a " skinner" " ranch hand" what ever you want to call him hates bowhunters. He was cussing because he had to track the arrowed hogs, then he gave little effort. I stuck two hogs and found niether. One had awesome blood trail but the guy said " these hogs are tough and you just cant kill them with a bow, You have to be lucky" IMO if that guy was gone it would be a good place but until then, spend your money elsewhere. Yeah it may sound like I made bad shots, but when you have frothy blood trail and arrow that passed through, id think you should give more than 30min to find your game. temps made it bad for leaving meat over night.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 AM

A friend of mine and I are looking for a hog hunt over spring break. We are looking at the Shiloh Ranch in southeast oklahoma. Hopefully we will get to go.