Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you practice in low light? >

Do you practice in low light?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you practice in low light?

Old 02-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Do you practice in low light?

I was doing some practice off my deck yesterday getting ready for next year and corrected something I had been doing which improved my groups a lot. Any how after dinner the sun was setting and as I looked out from the deck at my target which is in a wooded area, I thought, that looks just like it does on stand, so I shot until I could not see the pins at all anymore. It really surprised me how little light you can shoot in well even though you can barely see the pins. How many of you practice as the sun sets or rises?

The Tazman
Old 02-05-2002, 12:13 PM

Default RE: Do you practice in low light?

Yup. I shoot a lot out back in the summer until it's too dark to see.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was really surprised that I shot my tightest group when it was the darkest, I kind of wonder if it was me concentrating harder due to the low light?

The Tazman
Old 02-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:30 PM

Taz,

Yes, I practice in the evenings, after sun set under low light conditions. I use ground blinds both natural and commercial. The double bull casts a pretty good shadow. Also most of my stands are positioned under a thick canopy of coniferous trees. The sun can be shining in a clear cut at noon, yet back a 100 yards in the timber, I am hunting in low light conditions.

Shed
Old 02-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

No, but I should! Two bucks I've taken were taken in low-light conditions and were darn near shots I passed because of it. I have similar situations as Shed1, where it may be clear and the sun still on the horizon but where I'm at is much, much darker. I need to change my peep also because the one I have is too small and lets very little light in.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:48 PM

This time of the year I have no choice. If I didn't practice in low light I wouldn't practice at all. By the time I get home and setup I usually only have about a half hour of daylight left. The NoPeep makes shooting in low light almost too easy.

Turc
Old 02-05-2002, 01:39 PM

Just like to add, that the tritium fiber optics from true glow or the eradicator peepless sight system are excellent in low light.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:58 PM

I love to test my limits and darkness is definitely a way to find them. And I have to totally agree with Turc also.
Yup Taz, I find that I'll do a lot better than I expect myself to under those conditions. Strange huh?
Old 02-05-2002, 02:14 PM

I often shoot in lowlight conditions.

On our indoor range we can set the lights to nearly any setting between complete dark and very bright light. Four switches are connected to four different rows of lights.

I would love to install a dimmer... but with those lights, I think it might burn them out a lot faster. Too expensive, I think.

Also... our outdoor range has a few 3D targets set around the hay targets... as well as an elevated platform from which to shoot... and broadhead targets.

For our members, there is really no excuse when it comes to the lack of practice. We have everything they need... and then some.

-DT

Quick Reply: Do you practice in low light?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.