Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attacked by buck....what do you do? >

Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Old 11-30-2003, 05:05 PM

Default RE: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Well it happened to me this september. A 21inch nine pointer chased me outta my grandpas hayfield two weeks before season, how do i know it was 21 inches you ask? because i shot him the second day of season. This was the most territorial deer ive ever seen. I tried the standing your ground thing i was kneeling at first then stood straight up and yelled GET OUTTA HERE and he kept coming so i pulled my pocketknife out as a last course of action, he then charged and stopped at about 5 feet by then i had thought of everything thing i could imagine, how i was gonna fight him and everything i figured i cpould put my arms out to try adn get a hold on his horns but i had backed up close enough ot the fence then i turned and jumped into the woods, I got soem trees between us and slid down teh holler and he let up some then he came to the edge of the fence and made sure i was leaving. I dont think he woulda done anythign physical unless i woudla retaliated or acted dominant towards him he just wanted me gone. After i killed that buck i knew there was no way i woudla had a chacne fighting a mature deer like that he woulda killed me in a second.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:40 PM

this is a very real topic that we all over look. it doesnt happen often in the wild, but it is possible. always have your knife on your side....for one.

the last person that i heard killed by a buck was a guy in bucks county here in pa. it was a pinned deer and it was rut time. the guy enters the pin and GOOD NIGHT. the buck let those ANTLERS EAT on HIM. i think they had raised this deer from a fawn. some farm cut the antlers off b4 november.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would' ve let him get a little closer and then take the wind out of his sails with a well-placed arrow.

A couple years ago, I was headed out to my hunting spot when a buck suddenly appeared on my driveway. He started to trot off, then stopped, turned to face me . . . and charged the truck![] He changed his mind at the last instant and angled off to the side, but still hit the front quarterpanel. I was a bit nervous about walking to my stand in the dark near home for a while after that!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:22 AM

I guess I am not as tough as the rest of you.[:' (]

This happened to me a few years ago. I just turned around and pretended to be a doe. [:-]

The walk back was tough - But that buck was and still is my most memorable mount []
Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you' re out there on your own in the woods, you are are completely responsible for your own safety. Good topic. If you don' t have a plan, you can be caught flat-footed if an animal gets nuts on you. You must be prepared.

When the cards are down, don' t take chances. Use whatever you' ve got.
Ethical shot placement and season dates are for when you are the hunter. As potential prey, all bets are off, and it could be " kill or be killed" .

Nothing else will matter if you don' t survive or are mangled for life.
Keeping trees between you is good, running is futile, and you' d better be ready for a down and dirty fight, because you won' t have time to think about then, and the animals have all the advantages when it comes to speed, power, agility, and having built-in weapons that they have used all their lives.

I' d keep DA revolver with me if I could, but the IL govt doesn' t trust its citizens.
As the next best thing, I always carry a fixed blade sheath knife with a 5 or 6 inch blade on my strong side hip. It' s long enough to penetrate into most animals vitals, but not so long as to be unwieldy while wrestling, and quicker and stronger than a folder. (although I carry one of those too) My skinning knife is a little 2.5" and it stays put away unless the animal is already dead.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t think you' d want to get attacked by a mature whitetail buck. I talked to a deer farmer who travels the hunting/fishing shows w/live whitetail - he got himself in the wrong side of a loading ramp and a buck antlered him, picked him up and threw him over his head and over the ramp. The guy was stuck from the antlers and broke several bones when he finally hit the ground. This was a 200# dude too.

This happened to my dad - I gut shot a nice 8pt which retreated to a pond, about 10 foot off the bank when we caught up to him. My dad approached him in the dark with a flashlight in his face and the buck charged up the bank out of the water after him. My dad fired his .38 at him, missed but the buck stopped, turned around and went back in the pond to greet an arrow penetrating both lungs.[:-]
Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot him. To be more explicit I would FUBAR him! I mean that is what you' re there for. [&:][][X(]
Old 12-01-2003, 12:36 PM

About 12 years ago My dad walked me to my stand made sure I was ok and proceeded to walk to his. I watched a basket rack 8 pointer track my dad to his tree. My dad turned around through his coffee thermos and scampered up his tree. the buck finally ran off. Ever since then dad will not use any ruttin buck sents. they work to good. good topic, this rarely happens, but it does happen.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:57 PM

Well Rack.........finally........I see how your really getting the big ones !!!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:03 PM

LOL Rackattack. I don' t envy the guy with a more memorable mount.

Quick Reply: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.