Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Aluminum or Carbon >

Aluminum or Carbon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aluminum or Carbon

Old 11-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Aluminum or Carbon

I was just wondering all your opinions on carbon vs. aluminum arrows. I guess what i' m really doing is second guessing myself after not finding a well hit deer last week. My carbon arrow broke off, would the outcome have been any different if i was shooting aluminum arrows?
Old 11-28-2003, 05:38 PM

Default RE: Aluminum or Carbon

Well first of all where did the arrow hit?
Old 11-28-2003, 05:41 PM

i have shot all my deer with carbons. i have had a couple break but it actually might have helped. I shot Blackhawk vapor arrows and the arrow broke this year in my buck. the arrow came in high but going down and got stuck perfectly in the middle of the shoulder blade. He ran about 15 yards and i saw the arrow break. I think the 4 inches of arrow in him actually tore up some other vitals while it was in then. I think either way u could loss a deer. Check the post on " scored on a pre-shot deer" . he has a pic of an aluminum arrow fused in the bone of a deer.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whether or not the arrow breaks off, the path the broadhead takes initially should be more than adequate if the shot was good.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey guys, the deer was quartering away and the shot went in about 6 inches behind the shoulder, a little bit high but definately in the kill zone.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:05 AM

I shot a GoldTip 7595 completely through a caribou and out the other side, breaking a rib along the way. The darn thing never slowed down and it' s buried under the snow somewhere out there. A caribou is at least 1/2 again as thick as a whitetail, so I have no idea why you guys are having so much trouble with pass throughs. I think the broadhead has much more to do with it than the arrow shaft. I shot my ' bou with a two blade Magnus Stinger.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:01 AM

I just went back to carbons this year.VERY cool rezults.My Beman/Wasp combo blew thru a doe so fast,she NEVER even ran.She did a little crow hop and just stood there looking around.I could hear the blood running onto the ground.She took 2 steps,,,,and laid down.about 1 min. later she put her head down for the last time.UNREAL !!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:31 AM

I shot 2 doe this year and i had great results, both pass through' s in the kill zone just like you said and it was an instant pass through, pretty cool cuz it was my first 2 deer with a bow. So i' ve had awsome results with carbons. Carbon express 300' s.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:15 AM

Im ownly 13 , and shooting a 50 pound bow, and I use carbon arrow with a 90 grian muzzy broadhead. the first day of bow season this year I got a 7- piont, complet pass through, ran about a hundred yards. I recomend carbons!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the broadhead has much more to do with it than the arrow shaft.
I agree completely.

dwd, where you describe the hit, I can' t think of any reason for an arrow to break off. Maybe that arrow was damaged and the shock was too much for it. One time, I saw a carbon arrow pretty much explode about 10 feet in front of the bow. The guy remembered missing a target and hitting a rock with one of his arrows the week before. I figured it was probably that one, but we went through and checked every arrow in his quiver for damage before he took another shot.

Carbons are tough, but they are NOT indestructable. You have to check each one of them pretty regularly. Look for cracks and spots where the fibers are crushed.

Quick Reply: Aluminum or Carbon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.