Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 survival question. >

survival question.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

survival question.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 PM

Default RE: survival question.

well first here is what i would do.. whip out my knife, cut my shirt into 17 strips 6" x1 1/2" then remove my belt, sever it into 8 peices about 2" x2" then i would cry and scream like a baby until i bleed to death or help arrived...
Old 11-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I' d say a prayer and then get to work. I can' t see losing my life or my leg. I' d find a way to stop/slow the bleeding and the fashion some sort of splint and drag my butt out of there.

Of course I say this from the comfort of my home. If I were in the field I only hope I can keep a level head.

Old 11-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question. Not an every day thing we think about, but probably should. I never step into the woods without my cell phone. Two things will make me get out of the tree and walk back to the truck - forgetting my safety belt or my cell phone. If I fell in the hole on the way back to the truck to get my cell phone I forgot, well, I' d be screwed. Cut clothes apart, grab some sticks, and get to work on stopping the bleeding. First and foremost, pray.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Stop the bleeding is priority one.

Treat and prevent shock.

Treat the wound.

99 percent of the folks who would attempt to cut off their leg will only make the bleeding worse and they' ll pass out and die before they get it stopped. I know, one guy did it.... but his leg was trapped under a rock. Different deal and one lucky sucker. When the pain gets bad enough you' ll pass out and won' t have to worry about it. Just make sure you stop the bleeding.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 PM

i' m going to walmart tommorow to get me a first aid kit to carry with me from now on.just imagine if you fell on your on arrow.ouch,that would be a mess.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' d put an arrow in the bow, take my shirt off and create a rudimentary rope from t he threads and attach it to the arrow... Hit the grunt call a few times. After this, hopefully a buck or deer come walking by. I' d purposely make a bad shot and hit the deer in the infamous " deadzone" . I' d grab the rope and hope he runs toward civilization dragging me to safety!

Really though, I think that Ausie has the best idea. Rub some dirt in it and hope for the best!
Old 11-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d stop the bleeding and use the knife to dig my leg out of the hole and the order I do that might vary. Stopping the bleeding has top priority but I might have to get my leg out first to stop the bleeding. I' d then use the knife to cut me some splints and a walking stick. After patching myself up and applying the splints, I' d use my walking stick to walk out of there. While doing all this, I' d scream for help once every few minutes.
I can tell you this for a positive note, when you walk in the emergency room with blood shooting out of your leg, you' ll get alot of attention quick. I found that out last year.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:09 AM
8up

I think it' s very important to let friends and family know where your at and what time you should be home.

Stopping the bleeding would be my top priorty. I would think cutting off the leg would be a last resort.

Safe hunting guys and Happy Holidays!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just say some nasty things about a mathews bow, someone will be there quickly to chastise you.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:23 AM

Just say some nasty things about a mathews bow, someone will be there quickly to chastise you.
LMAO!

Or they say you can whip out a deck of cards and play solitare cause someone will always lean over your sholder and tell you where to put the 2 of clubs.

Quick Reply: survival question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.