Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antlered Doe... believe it or not >

Antlered Doe... believe it or not

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antlered Doe... believe it or not

Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 AM

Default Antlered Doe... believe it or not

I just saw the most amazing picture. A very famous surgeon here in Springfield, IL just showed me a pic of his gun-kill over the weekend. He was hunting in Pike County and shot during broad daylight what he thought to be a nice atypical buck. He climbed out of his stand, flipped the deer over and guess what... no penis or testicles. Fortunately this happened to this man because rather than just gutting the deer and ditching the pile, he did a thorough autopsy. What he found was a very rudimentary, small vagina, and no ovaries. He also looked thoroughly and did not find any internal, undescended testicles. He has already contacted " Outdoor Illinois" and they are probably going to do a piece about the deer. I' m not sure if the state is going to do any chromosomal tests on the deer to find out if it is male or female gene-wise. This doc has promised to email me a pic once he get the film digitized. I promise to post it when it becomes available. One last note, he kept the rudimentary vagina an put it in formaldehyde as an up-yours to anyone who doubts him. Good luck to all in the late season. I also have a great pic of my friends bowkill to post. I' ll get around to that once I get home.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Antlered Doe... believe it or not

You crazy doctors/surgeons. I knew of does with antlers, but have never heard of anyone doing an autopsy. That is some good info. It would be good to do a chromosome test. Would be neat to find out whats wrong with the thing.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It does happen every now and then
Old 11-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, it' s happened before and I' m sure it won' t be the last time. Occasionally they grow a pretty impressive set of antlers too! And from what I' ve seen/read they usually dont' shed their velvet.

From what I' ve learned, does with antlers are somewhat of " hermaphrodites" so to speak. They have severe chemical imbalances which leads to the misformation of their genitalia and the formation of antlers.

Crazy stuff.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

yea, ive heard of it, kinda like seeing a hen turkey with a beard, i know a guy who got one.....
Old 11-25-2003, 10:32 AM

I' ve heard of this before. I was just thinking what a sight it would be if you found a nice buck mounting another nice buck in the woods. I' d be pretty confused. []
Old 11-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I posted about a week back in the Crazy Deer thread, That I had the same thing happen years ago. Shot a 4 point and it turned out to be a doe. I told the PA game commision and they didn' t raise an eyebrow. While certainly uncommon it' s not so rare that anyone would do a piece on it. Unless it was a trophy type deer.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:10 AM

the best friend of a guy in our church shot a " buck" this past weekend and when he went to dress it -- it actually had both body parts hanging down. it actually had a male and female organ. it also still had full velvet on the antlers. they took pictures i will see if i can get a hold of one. wierd stuff[]
Old 11-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

the rossie o' donnald deer , cant make up its mind what it is
Old 11-25-2003, 12:16 PM

One last note, he kept the rudimentary vagina an put it in formaldehyde as an up-yours to anyone who doubts him

never a dull moment

Quick Reply: Antlered Doe... believe it or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.