Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question for bowtech patriot dually shooters >

question for bowtech patriot dually shooters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question for bowtech patriot dually shooters

Old 11-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default question for bowtech patriot dually shooters

I know this guy who shoots the dually and tells me his bow set at 65 pounds with a 395 grain arrow sighted in dead on at 20 yards only drops 2.5 inches out to 40 yards. Can some one tell me what this bow really would drop from 20 to 40 yards? I just don' t believe it. Remember this is a hunting set up not target shooting.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question for bowtech patriot dually shooters

My Patriot Dually is set on 60# and my arrows are 375 gr.
As to the drop I dont know I have not tried it but give me a couple of hours and I will go and do some shooting.
I will even take the digital camera with me and take a photo of the gap so to speak.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey that sounds great aussie. I look forward to seeing the results.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowtechs are fast, no doubt about it, but with the set up you described, I think your buddy is full of... uhm... Wishful thinking
Old 11-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

buckeye, I was kinda curious about this, so I went to Andrew Middleton' s trajectory chart which can be found at http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town...a%20Trajectory and put in some numbers. Assuming your friend is getting 324 feet per second with his 395-grain arrow (I think a generous assumption ) and he' s shooting something like a 2117-diameter arrow with thin vanes, his arrow has already dropped an inch and a half at 25 yards -- with his sights zeroed at twenty!!

And... the force which gravity starts exerting beyond this point becomes even more detrimental to his " straight-line," as his arrow is dropping an inch every five yards!

Now obviously, these are numbers plugged into a chart, and I too would like to see how Aussie' s backyard experiment goes. Anyone else? Matt? JeffB?
Old 11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

heh I have to say I' m in complete agreement w/ Rangeball.

I could maybe see that kind of drop from 20 to 30 with a very,very fast bow...but not 20 to 40. I know with my setups I only have to aim a bit high at 30 w/ my 20 yard pin. But once I start getting out past 30...it starts to drop quite a bit.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok here we go with my results.

Firstly the set up.
Patriot Dually set at 60# 28" draw with peep, cats whiskers, Magnock reciever and string loop.
Arrows are Gold Tip 5575 cut at 25.5" 100 gr tips 3 4" duravanes and magnock total arrow weight is 375 grains.

All shooting distances where measured with a tape measure not a range finder because I want to try and get true results.

I shot for about 20 minutes to warm up then placed a business card in the target for an aiming point.
Then I shot a 4 arrow group at 20 yards left the arrow that was in the middle of the card then backed out to 40 yards shot 2 more arrows (while using my 20 yrd pin aimed at the nock of the first arrow) which you can see in the pic 10 inches below the card.
The arrow in the middle was shot at 30 yards still using my 20 yard pin as the aiming pin once again aimed at the nock of the top arrow. The drop is 7" .

Now I have my pins set at 20-25-30 and 40 the gap between my 20-25-30 is about the same and the gap between my 30 and 40 is the same as my 20-25.

The magnocks are a little slower out of the bow but seeing they take out most if not all of the archers paradox they do in fact hold more speed further down range compared to standard nocks.

I have done speed tests in tha past between the magnocks and conventional nocks at different ranges right up till I had a perfect heart double lung shot on my crono.

Now not knowing your buddy' s draw lenght his results might differ from mine but not to the effect that he is claiming.

This is also another example of why I dissagree with the claims some guys have of using 1 pin from zero to 30 yards.

Anyway here is the promised pic.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Dang... Guess you can' t really argue with that...
Old 11-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ausie, wonder how that new Blacknight is going to shoot under the same testing conditions.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie, wonder how that new Blacknight is going to shoot under the same testing conditions.
Well hopefully in the next few weeks it will be here and I will be able to put it through its paces

Quick Reply: question for bowtech patriot dually shooters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.