Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When is a hail mary justified? >

When is a hail mary justified?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is a hail mary justified?

Old 11-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When is a hail mary justified?

Tonight while leaving the woods I saw a pathetic sight. It was a basket rack buck that had it' s left hind lower leg shot off and seemed to be in great difficulty. I watched him for a couple of minutes trying to decide whether to shoot or not. He was just outside of my confidence range (30 yds) and I was having many conflicting emotions while watching him hobble along.

Normally I would not even consider taking the shot. The deer seemed to be in distress and I could see that he was missing his lower leg. He was broadside and hobbling slowly along. I decided to try and end his suffering. At the shot he gave a little kick and disappeared into the darkness. I looked for my arrow or blood but found neither. Tomorrow I will be back to search in the daylight.

What would you have done? I really have a problem with people trying to shoot beyond their ablilities and now I think I might have done it myself. I keep justifying it to myself as the " right" thing to do but I am not so sure?
Old 11-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When is a hail mary justified?

Its hard to say what I would have done, but I really think that I would have done the same thing. I wouldnt beat yourself up about it. Good luck, and let us know what you find in the morning.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:42 PM

I would have done the same thing!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 05:48 PM

I don' t think you could of made the situtation any worse from your post. Good luck in the morning.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:58 PM

I believe you did the right thing Steve.Had a similar experience happen in shotgun season a while back,emptied my gun on him to end his misery quick.

Joe
Old 11-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' d have taken the shot too Steve. I sure hope you find him tomorrow. Keep us posted.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you did the right thing.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP... I think I' d do the same thing, especially if he' s as bad as you indicate. Even if you gut shoot it it' s going to be a more merciful death than what he has in store for him. HOPE you find him over the next bush.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I think you did the right thing
Old 11-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah from the sound of it you did the right thing! Hopefully he is NOT suffering any more! Let us know the outcome! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: When is a hail mary justified?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.