Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season stand placement??????? >

Late season stand placement???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season stand placement???????

Old 11-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Late season stand placement???????

I know that you should hunt near food in the late season, but I dont really have any late season food plots on the land that I hunt. So here is my question, I have 3 stands up right now, one is at a spot where they are crossing the river onto someone elses land, they are crossing both ways, so I do see a fair amount of activity on that stand. I have anotherone in an old overgrown gravel pit, lots of timber in there, the land owner told me that when the weather turns cold and windy that the deer tend to hide out in there. Then the last stand is in a strip of woods on the other edge of the property. The woods is about 15 yards wide and 200 yard long. On 1 end of the woods is an apple orcherd, ( the guy that owns the apple orcherd wont let me within 10 feet of it), on the other end of the woods it is shaped like an " L" and I have a stand right in the corner of that.This was a good early season stand becouse the deer would come from the gravel pit and cross the CRP (about 75 yards across), they would come right to the corner of that woods where my stand is, ond go thru the woods and go into the field on the other side of that woods, this year that was corn, but now its plowed under, and I dont have permision to hunt that field. Last year that field was beans, and after they plowed it under, I didnt see another deer on that stand. Ok, Im done rambling, my question is, what stand do you think would be my best late season stand? I will be out there tomarow, and we are suppose to get 6-10 inches of snow before Monday morning. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Late season stand placement???????

Be sure wearever you hunt the deer won' t end up on the land you can' t go near. Nothing worse than a down deer on land that you can' t retreive it from. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late season stand placement???????

I can go over on their land to track a wounded deer, they just dont want me hunting over there, there are some other guys that hunt on the land that surrounds my land.