Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 would you say bowhunters are more serious hunters than gun hunters? >

would you say bowhunters are more serious hunters than gun hunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you say bowhunters are more serious hunters than gun hunters?

Old 11-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: would you say bowhunters are more serious hunters than gun hunters?

i gun hunt also and take that just as serious as i do with my bow, of course with a gun there is a huge advantage, many gun hunters just go out opening weekend, usually in the middle of the rut and shoot nice bucks, sometimes i get frustrated after hunting hard for six weeks with my bow and just when it gets real good, here come the gun hunters. and down go the deer, i know gun hunting has to be done to control the deer herd, i do it myself, just dissapointing when these guys come in and start blasting the bucks.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have to to unequivically say yes. For one simple reason. I would hunt the friggn sling shot season, if they had one. I have never understood how someone that calls themselves a deer hunter can sit at home for 2 months that they could have been hunting. That alone, says to me that bowhunters are more serious
Old 11-24-2003, 08:48 AM

Since I was just on a gun hunt this weekend I have a great perspective.

Bow hunters are more serious and need to be!

Why?

1) Bow hunters spend much more time in the woods due to the difficulty and longer seasons

2) Gun hunters can drive deer and get a shot, bow hunters can' t

3) Bow hunters need to KNOW where deer are moving through and study more so they can set up and sit close. Hunting pressure and others hunters don' t help move deer for bow hunters.

4) Bow hunters see the deer in their natural undestirbed state, gun hunters move deer all over the place.

5) Bow hunters need to sit tight in a tree, gun hunters often walk all over

6) Bow hunters need to watch scent to get in close more then gun hunters

7) Bow hunters have to wait for high quality close shots that require great skill and knowledge of the deer.

8) Sitting and watching wide open areas simply is not an option.

9) Bow hunters NEED to know the hunting and feeding areas since those are the only places deer will be, a gun hunter can see a bumped deer anywhere at anytime.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

in a word ..NO
You can' t group folks that simply. It' s so much more involved then what is the weapon of choice. Hunters and folks who go out when the seaon is open are not one and the same.
I would say folks who frequent the boards and are eager to learn and share expiriences are among the hunters, and Hunters will be prepared come whatever season.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:38 AM

I would say not so much more serious... but I think most bowhunters (serious bowhunters) are much more prepared, spend more time scouting, and preparing. i know some really serious rifle and shotgun hunters but they dont spend near the time i do getting ready.......
I also believe that bowhunters are simply a differant bread than gun hunters...... which is a whole differant post
Old 11-24-2003, 11:50 AM

" Most Definitely."
Old 11-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes and no. Bowhunting is more involved thus to be good you need to put more effort in. Both groups have thier share of yahoos though. I' ve never hunted rifle in an area where you could rely on the deer own natural movements to hunt them by. I think that would be a neat experience.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt, Yes.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

As a whole bowhunters have to be more serious. If not, they are wasting their time.

There are some bowhunters AND some gunhunters in the field that don' t have a clue or worse......don' t care!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:01 AM

i'd say yes bow hunters are more serious than gun hunters are. at least here in indiana they are.

Quick Reply: would you say bowhunters are more serious hunters than gun hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.