Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lower Alabama....any big bucks? >

Lower Alabama....any big bucks?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lower Alabama....any big bucks?

Old 11-20-2003, 07:27 AM

Default Lower Alabama....any big bucks?

Well folks I was just offered a hunt in lower alabama, said it was about 10 miles from florida. My buddy through racing has 880 acres. Anyone from around this area can give me a little clue what to expect, I suspect I will see a much smaller bodied deer than here in Wisconsin but will the racks be large, shooters, trophies...Im going to go regardless to get outta the winter in Wisconsin in January either way but just looking for a little heads up.......

thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 AM

Default RE: Lower Alabama....any big bucks?

How big are the bucks you usually see ?

I grew up in Alabama and hunted LA most of my life and typical deer down there are in the 120-150 # range and 80-110 " category. If you get a 120" plus deer down there over 175 #.........you' ve done something !!

But they are there !!

I would suspect that you would see a lot more deer down there than your used to though !!
Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 AM

Well this is one I got up here bowhunting....
Just sitting in some warm climate seeing deer is a plus for me. Considering mid january will be about ZERO here will be nice to be in the 40s.... I see alot of deer where I hunt and some quality deer.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:12 AM

This one from gun hunting a few years ago....
thanks for your input. Like I said I really shoulnt care it will be a nice get away!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:52 AM

Hey man.......those are some fine deer !! Don' t get a lot like that up this way !!
Don' t get me wrong........Alabama' s got ' em.......but probably not as many as your used to seeing !! Good Luck on your hunt.........January is the time to hunt down there !!!

Here' s a couple of bigger ones I have killed down there(AL) in January !!

Old 11-20-2003, 11:57 AM

Hawgs for sure....nice deer. Well we have been letting little ones go for about 5 years now and its really starting to show. May not get all the bigguns but sure do see plenty which makes it easier to pass up the young ones. I figure mid january to late january they should be rutting pretty good. We will see hopefully everythign works out. Anyone know what hassle flying will be with my rifles?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:27 PM

I live in LA alabama myself and no there arent really large deer like CBM said..expect to see lots of does!!! but if its managed correctly you never know what you will see!!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:26 PM

i hunt around Auburn, and yes we have some good deer around here. the best time to hunt Bama is in late January. that is when most of the rut is in. but like Josh said, be ready to see alot of does. like everywhere else. but everywhere hads the potential to put out a big deer. if the place is managed correctly. i hunt 650 acres that has been under trophy management for 20 years now. 8 pt. or better outside the ears. and we see a lot of good bucks around january.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Wilcox county Alabama and hunt in Monroe county Alabama. Thats about 100 miles north of the Florida line as the crow flys. It depends on the area but yes there are some good racked bucks here. Body size will probably be the major difference you will notice. Here is a buck I killed in Monroe County last year.