Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nice 8 pt. South Jersey Buck >

Nice 8 pt. South Jersey Buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nice 8 pt. South Jersey Buck

Old 11-20-2003, 04:00 AM

Default Nice 8 pt. South Jersey Buck

Last night I was contemplating which stand to utilize since I was running a little late. I could jump in my Bear River Pro Hunter fixed position stand that was about 200 yards from where I park or I could try a hunch I had.
There is a spot at the far end of the property we hunt where we have seen some does grazing from afar. The reason we hadn' t hunted it in a while is there was too much 4-wheeler activity disturbing my hunt. That was about a month ago.
Well since my brother and hunting buddy was in Florida visiting my mom I decided to grab his climber and make the 1 1/2 mile trek to this spot. As you can imagine I was sweating like a pig by the time I got there since a fast pace was needed to get in my tree at a reasonable time. It was 4pm by the time I was settled and since it gets dark here at 5:15 it gave me a short window of time to hunt.
15 minutes go by I' m still cooling down when I hear a deer walking towards me from behind. The problem with this is the wind was blowing in that direction at about 6 miles per hour. When the footsteps could finally be identified I could tell it was a nice shooter buck. Because he was angling toward me I had to be careful of every move I made. As he walked behind a tree I grabbed my bow and stood, as his head disappeared behind the next I pivoted my body into position. As I searched for an open lane on the trail he was taking I suddenly realized he is about to get into the general vicinity of where the wind is blowing my scent. That was when I drew my bow and hoped he would stop at the next opening. His head went up and tongue went out. It was obvious that he was looking for the scent of a hot doe. I released the string of my Mathews Legacy which propelled an arrow laced with a 90-grain Muzzy Broadhead at what I later ranged as 28 yards
for a perfect broadside hit. As he ran from the spot of impact I let out a few grunts of my own which gained his curiosity. He stopped and looked back for a moment at about 60 yards then became dizzy and fell for the last time.
It was a great moment, the best Buck I' ve ever shot.
If it weren' t for my brother Steve getting me into this awesome sport 5 years ago I would have never been able to experience one of the best moments of my life!
Thanks Buddy!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nice 8 pt. South Jersey Buck

Way to go thats a beauty thanks for sharing
Old 11-20-2003, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on the buck and great story.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:42 AM

What a nice symmetrical rack - I hope I can remember that trick to call after the shot to keep the deer close .........
Old 11-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Good buck BD...Congrats....
Old 11-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrats on a fat NJ buck. I love it when a plan comes together. Healthy looking rascal.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck - goes to show you, there are no deer in the house. Gotta be out there!

Congrats! Nicely done.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice buck , good story , and looks like you made a perfect shot . Congrats
Old 11-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Congrats on a good buck! I like the grunt after the shot trick too. I may have to try that.

TBO
Old 11-20-2003, 09:31 AM

Ijimmy beat me to the punch....great placement!!!! Congrats on your deer!!!

Quick Reply: Nice 8 pt. South Jersey Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.