Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what' s your best attribute?? >

what' s your best attribute??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what' s your best attribute??

Old 11-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default what' s your best attribute??

Just wondering what you guys/gals think your best attribute is while hunting. Myself, I have a good knack for picking up movement in relation to sound. If I hear a twig or leaves in the woods my eyes seem to pick up the movement that made the noise immediately. Although 99% of the times it is a squirel, but I think it still helps me out.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:02 AM

Default RE: what' s your best attribute??

The patience to stay in position for long hours on the stand. I think many, many guys just don' t stay in place long enough. Ants in the pants. It' s probably better just over the next hill. Lots of excuses. It' s easy to leave when your feet are cold, your not seeing deer, too hot, etc...Pick the spots carefully then hunt with conviction.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:08 AM

Does sleeping in count?

I would normally say shooting, either with bow or rifle, but seems I always blow the shot with a bow some how some way.....lol
Old 11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not really sure, but I wish I could stay on stand for more than four hours. That is tough. I read about all these guys that get their deer between 11a and 2p. That' s not me. Too many ants in the pants as Jimimac says. I think my best attribute if I had to pick one would be determining sounds. I' ve listened to no short of 87,000 squirrels in my day and am getting to the point where I don' t move to look at the sound behind me only to find it' s a 230# 8pt. squirrel. Limiting the movement is obviously one of many key factors I think. I' ve been busted from deer that I turned in the stand and didn' t know they were there - more than 200 yards away.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, picking up movement would have to be mine too. A lot of times, I sort of let my vision zone out on me, and it becomes much more obvious when anything in my field of vision moves. A lot of times, I focus in on a leaf blowing or moving, but I don' t miss much that way.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I" m REGULAR.

Old 11-18-2003, 10:32 AM

Picking up movement and being almost silent while on stand. I have a practice of scanning the woods 360 degrees like a radar system. I look left and slowly scan to my right. I do this slowly to keep my head movement minimal. About once every 45 seconds or so, I also scan behind me and into the blind spots behind my tree/stand. I' m telling you, after scanning the woods for the first hour, I can almost pick out something that doesn' t belong there in a second.

For instance, I' m more or less capturing all the tree and bushes and thickets. Then, if a chipmunk or squirrel happens to move off to my right at 80 yards, I somehow pick that up in my vision. I can also spot a deer' s foot showing thru thickets.

I' ll also be honest with you too...as the morning wears on, I also spot ' imaginary' deer that get your heart going for a second. Most often this is the cause of a lone leaf dangling from a nearby tree. But I do see several imaginary deer each time out!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d have to say my patience is my best attribute. Helps me keep quiet on the stand and make the right shot when it becomes available.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I" m REGULAR.
That' s a great attribute. I wish I could say the same. I stopped eating the traditional bacon/eggs/homefries breakfast before going out hunting. A cup of coffee and I' ll tough it out until lunch. I' d rather be hungry than in trouble.

I think my best attribute is as a still hunter. I can sneak through the woods very well and analyze sign. I wish I had more patience for the stand because I know I would tag more and better bucks if I just put more time into a good stand.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-18-2003, 11:40 AM

Luck Luck and more Luck.

I' m just one of those people that everyone hates. I' m the friend that goes to the truck early, only to have a buck walk to me. I' m the guy that you put up in a nonproductive stand for one night, only to have a bign walk right by me. Yeah thats me, I' m THAT guy.

Quick Reply: what' s your best attribute??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.