Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trophy Hunters?

Old 11-17-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Trophy Hunters?

How many of you just strickly hunt trophies and how many just hunt and what ever walks by is good enough? Right now i' m 4 days away from turing 18 and because of the whole CWD thing here in wisconsin, my dad and his friend told me for bucks its wall hanger or nothing. To me thats not fair because they' ve shot smaller bucks throughout their lives and me only hunting for like 5 years, i have to start now. At this point in my life shooting a wall hanger is not that big of a deal to me, if i did get one that would be awsome but i just want to have fun and hunt. Maybe in another 5 years or so. So how many really care if its a big one or not?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trophy Hunters?

I' ll take whichever puts meat in the freezer.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hold out for a nice buck for my area. I wouldn' t exactly call them huge trophies, in most " big buck" states they' d not get a second look. But I have enough scruffy racks, so its not a big deal for me. I think a newer hunter should be able to decide what makes him happy. Best of luck.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:28 AM

I enjoy venison very much, but at the same time get a thrill by a nice set of antlers ......... we have additional tags where I hunt, so that allows me to take a doe early if the chance presents itself, and then continue on trying for that elusive buck.

Like many have said, ANY bow deer is a trophy deer.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Dont get caught up in the whole trophy thing. Never be ashamed of any animal you ethically harvest. Deer hunting has become way too commercialized in my opinion. I love the idea that you dont think you have to go kill the biggest buck in the timber to have a great time. You dont! I took a great buck 2 weeks ago and still have a doe tag to fill. I guarantee I will get the same adrenaline rush coming to full draw on the doe if the opportunity arises. Hunt for you and your enjoyment. Dont let your success be measured in inches!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

T-23,
You are in a special situation as am I. CWD zone. My best advise for your hunt is to take a doe, as we do need to lower the overall deer poplulation. You would be doing your part. After that if you want to take a buck, go ahead, but make sure it is one you (not your dad or uncle) is proud of. Make a good shot and be proud of that as well. I was about a year younger than you when I started holding off on the little guys, and if I wanted meat I would shoot a doe and be happy with it. It was hard to do at first but it has become 2nd nature to watch a nice little 8 pt walk on past. I' m learing more about deer behavior by watching rather than shooting.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:42 AM

I agree with fletch for the most part, but wimp and bigbuck really hit the nail on the head. As you age as a hunter and enjoy some success your perspective tends to change. I' ve killed lots of small bucks, so for me, I' m looking for a better deer than I have previously taken. As far as meat...If you want/need meat then shoot a doe.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in an area that has excellent potentional of seeing and getting a crack at big bucks. I am only 25 years old, but I don' t shoot anything under what I consider a trophy. Meaning that it has to be an 8 point with at least a 16" spread or better. This usually isn' t difficult to accomplish where I hunt.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:48 AM

If I' m looking for meat I will shoot a doe in a second. Where I hunt the buck / doe ratio is way out of wack and there are probably at least 20 doe to every buck I see. With that being said I do pass on small bucks. I hope to get another crack at a wall hanger some day. I say another because the 1st is a memory in my living room now. If it' s legal it up to you. Just keep in mind if everyone shoots small bucks the wall hangers will never materialize.

Quick Reply: Trophy Hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.