Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much can a whitetail take?? >

How much can a whitetail take??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much can a whitetail take??

Old 11-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much can a whitetail take??

I was wondering just how much pressure can a whitetail take and still remain in the same area?
I was out hunting in Muskiginum county Ohio last weekend in a area that the trails are plowed up with whitetail traffic and the trees are shredded with rubs , sounds good huh? well listen to what happened next.

I was in a stand at a real good intersection and my brother was in another area next to a field just inside the woods near a giant trail inside a ground blind.
I though we would have a great chance , then my 19 year old cousin decided to follow us, I didn' t say much because his dad owns the land. He talks like he' s the great white hunter but in real life he' s only killed small deer with a (illegal in Ohio)centerfire rifle at long disatnce during gun season.
He wore greasy work boots and a dirty work coat dispite my expalining sent control. I loaned him my ASAT suit and told him that if he sits tight deer won' t see him. That went in one ear and out the other also. He followed me to my stand and talked to me loudly for at least 10 min before I politely asked him to go find a spot.
He didn' t , He thinks the way to hunt deer is to jump them and shoot on the run.
10 min latter I here him screeming way off in the distance " there' s a big one comming I' ll chase him!" he went running thru the woods yelling and screeming! ... A big 12 pointer left the area at approx 90 mph, I know this because he ran behind me at about 100 yrds. There was a good chance he would have crossed in front of me if left alone.
He also chased 2 big does that were less than 10 feet behind my brothers blind away. At 1st my brother didn' t know what happened then my cousin stuck his head inside one of the blind windows just 30 seconds after the deer ran for it. He walked all over the area for at least 2 hours. We didn' t get a deer that day and the next day we saw and heard nothing.

How long will deer feel the effect of such pressure, will they return in a coupple days, or is the area dead till 2004, And just how sensitive are they to humans being in there area? Will they avoid trails that have been walked down with dirty boots? Thanks in advance guys. Mabey next year. Jim
Old 11-17-2003, 10:05 AM

Default RE: How much can a whitetail take??

ive seen deer walk up a trial an hour after a person had walked the same direction. also, i saw a big ol 8 point that also saw me. i scared him off after my arrow bounced off the rest, but seven days later he was walking down the same trail. i got a shot at him but missed, dang it! anywho, regardless of wether your cousin is a horses ass. the deer will be back, give it a couple days and keep your cousin in the " good" part of the woods.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d give it a few days and then try it again. Give time for things to settle.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell your cousin to stay home and knit some mittens or cook a pot of chilli. Wow.

Deer are all different as you know, but I' ve observed both - split and stay away, and come right back. One year my buddy shot his doe in the morning so we moved his stand behind mine so he could film me. That night, only an hour after we finished putting his stand in, a nice 6 and a 4 walked down the trail we walked all over, went under my stand and sniffed my rope I handled not 20 minutes before he showed. So, who knows. But, I will say that most big bucks will go nocturnal once they know an intruder is on their turf or give up the area completely for that season. I would say after a good rain, (if you can keep your cuz out of there), deer travel may be back to normal. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree and think the big bucks are history once they know a human is in the area. It also depends on the herd and area you' re hunting. If you' re in Gods country miles from civilization, I have noticed that deer sincerely hate seeing a human and may never return. More civilized areas where deer may be used to seeing people around houses and such may return in a few days. I may be completely wrong about that, but it' s just what I' ve noticed hunting two different kind of hunting lands. On the other hand bucks are not thinking straight during the rut and I' ve seen some awfully strange and unexplainable patterns.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:46 PM

You didn' t by chance post a picture on your cousin a couple of months on an thread entitled OUCH!! I' d give it until the PBR (Pro Bull Riding) circut came to town, send your cousin to it and go back out to the stand. I' m sorry I couldn' t help myself.
It really deppends on how hard the deer are pushed. It sounds to be like he gave them a pretty good scare but did they feel he was an actual threat? Only the deer know this answer. I think the odds of them coming back are pretty good. I' ve been on hunts when people in our party shot at a buck and he was back in the same woods later the same week. If these woods are within the deers home range I don' t believe they' ll far. If the buck was " out and about" doing his rutting thing he may never return. My best suggestion is to send your cousin to the rodeo and wack that big buck!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:06 PM

I have been hunting for 30 years and have killed well over 40 NICE deer in the last ten years. Alot of the old myths I have proved wrong. I do not use scent control and park my fourwheeler under my stand. Go ahead laugh. The cover scent I use is ussually native to the area be it racoon or coyote pee. I have spit snuff, smoked, and even used the restroom by my stand and have always killed big deer. You are fine although I would move my stands back atleast 100 yards from where you think you will make a shot. Good luck. One thing I have found to work is feeders, food plots and www.deerdummy.com is the latest one. I killed a 164 1/2 buck Sat night. Check it out it sure helped me.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, 19 is definately old enough to get his teeth knocked in! Send him to my camp, I' ll teach the boy some manners.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:15 PM

Yeah, we know what you do to 19 year olds at your camp[>:]
Old 11-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch

Quick Reply: How much can a whitetail take??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.