Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Second rut

Old 11-16-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Second rut

Has anyone ever noticed the second rut being better than the primary rut. Due to warm weather this rut has been a bust so far. I am hoping that it will be good next month when the unbread doe come back in heat.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:20 PM
nub

Default RE: Second rut

Isn' t it a tad early for the rut down your way? To answer your question, no. Seems to me that after the primary, you can see a buck on a doe anytime during the next couple months. That would include more than just the second.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:26 PM

Isn' t it a tad early for the rut down your way?
Nope! I hunt in Arkansas. The rut is on! Does are hanging around the scrapes but the buck aren' t showing up. If you see a buck, its running a doe.
Something has gone " bad" wrong with the Ar. deer heard. It has been seriously depleated. Some say desease, some say Buffalo Knats. Four years ago there were deer everywhere, three years ago we didn' t see any deer. But thats a different story.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never seen a year when the secondary rut (in December in these parts) was better than the primary rutting period...though I have seen one or two that were very impressive...including one about ten years ago when I took a nice 8 pointer off of some public land.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:44 AM
nub

Something has gone " bad" wrong with the Ar. deer heard. It has been seriously depleated.
Sounds a lot like my neighborhood. For your sake, I hope we don' t have the same problem with our herd.