Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hope I never have to see that in the woods again >

Hope I never have to see that in the woods again

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hope I never have to see that in the woods again

Old 11-16-2003, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hope I never have to see that in the woods again

Good job BHC I can' t tell you how many times I' ve been out there and wished I was a cop for one reason or another. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

My hats off to you also. Guess they were surprised. If they needed meat that bad there is always fresh meat on the highway, and they' d still have their license' s.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:12 AM

I was sitting on a wood pile this A.M. and let a nice doe and an 8 ptr. pass at 10 yds. My son Joe called last night and said he could not hunt today I was thinking of him when I let the pair pass. There will be another day and when hunting alone most of the thrill just comes from the hunt itself. You true blue dads know what I mean. Hope some young ones read this and learn a bit. Have fun fellow ethical hunters.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:43 AM

Scar955, it is not unethical to miss. For all you know a perfectly clean shot went bad for some reason other than a lack of ethics. Deer are wounded as part of hunting - that is just a fact. Bow or rifle - it happens with both so I would be careful of throwing stones if I were you.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:44 PM

MAN THAT SUCKS.BAD HUNTERS DOING BAD THINGS[:@]
Old 11-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too many guys I know that will shoot a deer running away from them at full speed. That' s when shots like these happen. It sucks that the deer have to suffer because of stupid hunters.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:37 PM

SuperX, I know there are variations of ethical based on each person' s perception. You are right, since I wasn' t there I don' t KNOW the other hunters were unethical. I was taught that unless you are 100% sure you have a clean shot, you don' t take it. I probably could have taken more deer in my life because I PROBABLY could have made the shot. Luckily for me, I have taken 4 deer with 4 bullets.

I' m not trying to sound high and mighty, but those are the standards I live by. I hope I never have to feel that awful feeling in my stomach when I know I' ve injured but not killed a deer.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:47 PM

I' ve been taught the same thing. If you don' t have a good clean shot at a deer, don' t take it. It always burns me up when I hear someone shooting 5 or 6 times in a row, like they are spraying the woods with bullets trying to hit a deer. If you can' t take down a deer in one shot, let it go...if you shoot once, let it go unless the deer runs and stops and presents another clean shot. That' s just my opinion, but that' s what I' ve always done.

Thunder
Old 11-17-2003, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

Rangerstud,
You can bowhunt during gun season? Around here the season closes. Don' t know if I' d want to be dressed in full camo walking to or from my blind during gun season. Too many fools just shoot at the noise.[>:]
Old 11-17-2003, 04:27 AM

That is tough to see man. If you go out in the woods of Pennsylvania on opening day of gun season you will hear many guys empty their guns on a deer. That is asinine for sure. It' s a rifle people. If/when the deer shows up it really should only take one shot. Just like bowhunting, you don' t plan for follow up shots. I' m also pretty certain that a lot of these wounded critters are shot by people that went to the range and fired one shot, hit the paper and probably announced, " I' m ready to go. Good ol Bessy is always on the mark." Heck, I' m a bowhunter first and foremost but I have made the time to shoot at least four boxes of shells through my .308 over the last month so I know I' m ready for certain. Also, a lot of guys here in PA will go out once a year for the opener and that' s it. Nothing like being in tune with the woods huh? Jim

Quick Reply: Hope I never have to see that in the woods again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.