Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please help!

Old 11-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Please help!

Will a buck return to a spot he was scared the day before...this specific buck was a dandy, who was grunting on the trail of a doe, about 15 minutes behind her? He did not blow when he took off...and he didnt stop once to " check: the air, he was after a doe.
Here is the whole deal: I was hunting a funnel in some big balsams between the edge of a recently cut hardwoods, and a swamp for the 1st time. I put up my climber in the middle of the balsams so I could shoot both ways...anyway I see a couple deer, but the the excitement starts around 4:30... I can hear a deer coming at me. I see him about 100 yards trotting, and grunting on the edge of the hardwoods...a dandy. He followed the same exact trail a doe took about 15 minutes before that...I draw....at around 50 yeards in a shoooting land I tried " errrr" trying to get him to stop...nothing...againI " errr" .....nothing, he keeps trotting and grunting...finally my last attempt " errr" stopped him, but he is now past me at around 25 yards and no clear shot.., he stops and takes off to where he came from. No stopping, no blowing...just took off. In hindsit, I should have waited to past so I could undraw without him busting me, and try to grunt him back. My question is, will he be back. I want to go back tomorrow night the worst way, just reposition myself about 100 yards from where I was tonight...what do you guys think???
Old 11-14-2003, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Please help!

kinda reminds me of what happened to me last year. had him come in and walk right in front of me after working a scrape. i draw and miss. never seen him again.
he might show again.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:11 PM

I don' t have a lot of practice bow hunting, so I can only tell you about my rifle experiences. (Yes, I was a part of the dark-side once!) I was never one to try very long shot even though my rifle and my shot were capable of them. I don' t think I' ve ever taken over a 50yd shot (with a rifle mind you).

To get to your question, I have seen a doe get " spooked" without winding me. She knew something was wrong and was gone. I set up in the same spot the next day and got a nice buck. I will tell you that the buck I shot stopped on a dime where the first deer spooked the day before. Maybe it was just coincidence, but maybe he sensed something the doe left behind.

Anyway, good luck!!!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn' t read in your post jimmy whether or not the buck actually saw you or just felt threatened.

If he saw you then I' d say he won' t be back any time soon. If he just felt threatened, he' ll try to avoid the immediate area or will be very nervous at the very least when he is near there, short term. Long term, maybe he' ll forget, maybe not.

But, if you' re on a doe trail and there are bucks in your area there is no reason not to expect to see a different buck trotting down that trail tomorrow, especially if you have a lot of does in that area.

In my non-expert opinion.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:28 PM
nub

He' ll be back. At exactly 11:37

beagle; N, S, E, or W of wausau?
Old 11-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks a lot for the replies fellas. Hazcon, I think I am going back tomorrow as well. I was thinking the same thing you said....where there are does, there wil be bucks!
As for him seing me, I froze in full draw when he stopped for that split second before he took off, but like I said I was intentionally trying to get him to stop. Good luck, and hit the woods...the rut around northern WI seems to be peaking.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Jimmy,if he is ruttin and has his harem in there,he may be around but if he is on the move, he may be in the next county.I believe it really depends on whether or not that is his core area.Anyway you look at it,you' ll never know unless you go back and try again.

Way back when I wounded a buck on his morning walk around a bog.Stunk the place up trying to find him.I had to wait a day because we can' t hunt on Sunday,went back in on Monday and there he was on the same trail and almost the exact same spot.Don' t give up on him.If there are does in there then other bucks will be after tham,maybe bigger!Good luck, Ron
Old 11-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a plan. He has no Idea you were there. His mind was on other things. But you ask if he' ll be back but the question should be phrased will the doe be back cause the buck is on her trail not any particular trail of his own. Maybe put out some kind of doe in heat scent to coax him in, cause he didn' t leave the area.