Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ran into my first " ANTI" >

ran into my first " ANTI"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ran into my first " ANTI"

Old 11-14-2003, 05:27 AM

Default ran into my first " ANTI"

I was at work yesterday, sitting in my office, when a fellow worker comes in and tells me I' m mean. I look at him and said " ok, what are you talking about" ...
He goes on to tell me that he saw my picture of my first bow kill (I have it as my background on my PC) and it was mean to go hunting. I went on to explain that I didn' t agree with him, and wanted to know what was mean about it. His reasons for not liking hunting, (besides " how could I shoot something that didn' t do anything to me" ) was that a person could go to the neighborhood grocery store and buy the meat--why kill something like that. I then explained about over population, deer management, respect for wildlife, how much meat I get from each deer...Then I went on to ask him what the difference was between going to the store and buying beef or pork to going out and gettting your own meat from the woods. But, he didn' t have an answer to that. And after making a few more attemps at an arguement, walked out of my office...

Can anyone think of anything else I could have said or done to make a better point--he really caught me off guard, so I wasn' t as prepared as I wish I could have been.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:32 AM

Default RE: ran into my first " ANTI"

Sounds to me like you did just fine. If he didn' t have an answer, and walked out of your office, hopefully it made him think. Depends on how well you know this guy, but maybe he' d become a believer if he tried some venison.

One of the big reasons that I always bring up is that I would prefer to eat what I harvest, and that it is a lot healthier than what I can buy at the store. Very lean, with no steroids, antibiotics, etc. that comes with farm raised beef. But the healthy reason is why I tend not to hunt around metropolitan Baltimore anymore, too - don' t want to eat something that' s been drinking out of some of these waterways!
Old 11-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always argue with my in-laws about hunting. They are city folks.

They don' t like the fact that I hunt and they don' t want me to expose my son to the tradition either. That' s not going to happen. They don' t see the point in hunting. I always tell them that they choose to buy their food in the store and I prefer to harvest my own. Either way an animal has to die. I tell them THEY should be the ones to feel guilty because they are eating farm raised animals that are grown for one reason only and do not get a fair chance to live.

Like it or not hunting is part of all of us. We wouldn' t be here if our forefathers didn' t hunt. It' s part of our heritage.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:24 AM

if he walked out not saying a thing you did great way to go
Old 11-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you did a good job, a line I like to use is " I prefer to kill my own meat, you prefer to hire an assasin to kill yours for you!"
Old 11-14-2003, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

You definitely gave all the right answers and handled the situation much better than I would have. As hunters we almost always have to accept the fact that we are going to run into these types of folks. It is inevitable. All we need to worry about is being educated enough to have responses such as yours ready for them.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:36 AM

Another fact is that wild game has much less fat and none of the steroids and chemicals that are fed to domestic animals to get them to grow faster.

People like that will never understand because they were brought up in a sheltered atmosphere. Hunting is how everything else on this planet survives. We are animals and just because someone kills something, wraps it, and puts it up for sale, doesnt mean we have to buy it. just my 2 cents
Old 11-14-2003, 06:47 AM

People around here are getting better than they used to ...... mostly due to the high rate of deer/vehicle collisions and garden/crop damage from the high deer population ...........

I usually keep quiet unless I know the people are okay with the whole hunting scene .........

Old 11-14-2003, 07:12 AM

Can anyone think of anything else I could have said or done to make a better point
Every one agrees...you did fine. A tip of the camo hat to you for standing up for all of us.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: ran into my first " ANTI"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.