Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tarsal scent around the rut >

tarsal scent around the rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tarsal scent around the rut

Old 11-12-2003, 10:26 PM

Default tarsal scent around the rut

how many of you guys use a tarsal gland as a drag and a scent bomb to try and lure a big boy in or away from a doe during the rut or do tou think it works best before the rut or anytime of the year to piss the big boys off,if you guys see a big buck at a distance would you prefer a dominant buck grunt to try and draw him in or another type of call.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tarsal scent around the rut

I use tarsal scent alot, and i am using it right now.
I haven' t had any negative responses, only favorable.
As far as grunt calls, i use the trutalker, i have not scared a deer with it yet, and i have called in smaller bucks, and big bucks ,just don' t over do it.
The funny thing about the trutalker is, i use the normal setting, dominant buck,
with out changing position of my finger to change fawn, doe,etc.
And it still brings all kinds of deer in, but this is usually during the rut.
I feel if you use the tarsal, you won' t have a problem.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tarsal scent around the rut

goldtip45,
I think you will find that trying to lure a buck away from the doe during the rut is not going to happen. They have waited all year to breed and if a doe is in estrus or even close they have found what they have been looking for and to leave this for a fight just would not make good sense.
After a buck breeds a doe he goes looking for another one... this is when you want him to run across the tarsal sent. He will think another buck is getting some action and this will drive him crazy.
I always use tarsal sent with doe estrus sent that way the buck will think the intruder has found a hot doe and he will try to find them. I like to put tarsal sent on one boot pad and doe estrus on the other when I walk to my stand and it seems to work good for me.
As far as grunts go, I like to sound like a young buck so the big boy will think he can just stroll in and kick butt. Like I said earlier about the scent, the grunt call will not do much if the buck is with a doe from my experience.
Just my thoughts,
Have a great day and good luck