Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 At What Point Does Wind Effect Deer Movement? >

At What Point Does Wind Effect Deer Movement?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

At What Point Does Wind Effect Deer Movement?

Old 11-12-2003, 08:19 PM

Default At What Point Does Wind Effect Deer Movement?

At what mph do you guys think that wind effects deer movement? Personally, if the wind is over 20mph I see virtually no natural deer movement. I was wondering what you guy' s opinons were on this?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2003, 09:00 PM

Default RE: At What Point Does Wind Effect Deer Movement?

deer hate wind they bed up in thick cedars around here in tennessee.i was watching a field one day clouds rolled in cloudy perfect evening,i had 4 deer in the field.wind was like 5 mph then it kicked up to 30 mph in a snap of a finger deer got their but out of their .storm blew in later that night.if you are going to hunt windy days hunt the thick stuff.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on the 15 mph mark. When I see that forecasted on the weather channel I generally know it is going to be a slow day. Now, whether that is because of the increased dispersal of scent or because it becomes too noisy for deer to feel comfortable traveling I just don' t know. I am guessing your interest is because of the high winds forecasted for today and tomorrow? I think sustained winds of over 40 mph would classify as poor whitetail hunting weather....
Old 11-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, you could probably jump on top of one in this wind if they didn' t see you.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted last night in our SNOW STORM.. sat in my tree for 3 hours and watched 4 inches fall... winds were 20+ with gust to 35+.. I saw 6 does...
Old 11-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the wind until it hits 20 mph sustained winds with gusts of 30 mph. At that point it seems to slow them down some. I personally have only hunted Mississippi, Arkansas, & Illinois, however I prefer a good 10-15 mph wind in all of those states. I have actually noticed the opposite to be true. If the wind is blowing 10-15 and the wind dies and gets calm, I might as well go home because I am not going to see anything (most of the time).
Old 11-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

About 3 years ago, I hunted with two buddies during a cold, windy day and a half during rifle season before we had to go. We each saw over 50 deer, but only two shooter bucks. Granted, some of the deer we were seeing were the same ones that came through earlier in the day, etc., but the deer were moving. Some appeared nervous like they smelled something, but couldn' t figure out where the source was. I would imagine it was blowing over 20 mph at times. Bring chapstick!

I' m headed down in a few hours to try my luck with Mr. Tinks...

Old 11-13-2003, 02:50 PM

Love the wind, especially with wet ground since it allows you to walk up on deer very easily. My plan when its windy is usually to sit in a stand for an hour or so in the AM. Then I still hunt spots that I can sneak up on deer. Caught 2 bucks herding some does this morning.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hankfan I live in Glenwood and you know how the wind is blowing right now and there are deer standing under a small apple tree feeding in my yard right now Personally I have never had any luck in the high winds and its just plain too cold for me today.

Quick Reply: At What Point Does Wind Effect Deer Movement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.