Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Yotes got my deer >

Yotes got my deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yotes got my deer

Old 11-12-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Yotes got my deer

A couple days ago I was hunting my best stand and had a few does come in and hang around for awhile, I wasnt gonna shoot one but after about 10 minutes I decided to take one for meat cause I hadnt shot one yet this year, been videoing too many. Anyway I made a beautiful double lung one the oldest looking doe in the bunch and heard her fall about 90 or 100 yards behind my stand. I decided to wait a while before climbing down, in case a good buck was lagging behind. After 30 minutes I climbed down and gathered all my gear and went to get my deer. When I got to her she was about three-fourths eaten. Both hind quarters were gone, the rib cage was ripped open and one shoulder and backstrap were mostly devoured also[], it had only been 45 minutes since the shot. I was amazed by all this and was taking my video camera out of my pack to tape this and heard something coming down the ridge, I looked up to see a large male coyote standing about 15 feet away, and he actually growled at me. I grabbed my bow and he trotted off about 40 yards and started to circle me, then he was joined by 3 or 4 more and they all circled me from a distance for about 10 minutes while I taped them and their damage. This is unbelievable to me cause I never thought we had this bad of a coyote problem. I guess she ran right into the pack, they may have even taken her down, because she had bad bite marks on her throat, and the ground was pretty torn up all around her. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:12 PM

Default RE: Yotes got my deer

Sorry to hear about your bad luck[:' (] Sounds like you may need to start hunting yotes
Old 11-12-2003, 06:15 PM

time to jerk out the rabbit in distress call and the steel traps and the box traps.
that realy sucks that you lost that deer.better luck next time.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:17 PM

Never seen it happen that fast, last year my buddy shot a buck and caught it on video we viewed the tape and he was 100% sure on the shot and we went to the site and found blood but not a great amount so we backed out till morning got their the next morning and he wasnt 60 yards from the stand but the coyotes had already ate most of it, never seen it happen as fast as it did for you tho,
I had two coyotes chase a fawn under my stand one time i fired off a shot at one with my bow but it was futile they were moving way to fast, and last week my dad had a flock of turkies under him and a coyote came charging in chasing them but didnt get any they arent real bad yet in wv but way more populous then they were ten years ago
Old 11-12-2003, 06:17 PM

Never heard of that happening that soon before. Sounds like you have found another sport to practice your bow shots on. Down here, we have to take them out whenever the opertunity comes along. I usaually end up getting 4 or 5 a year.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 PM

I can believe that easy enough. Last thursday evening a coyote came to my stand from the north and spooked when I tried to shoot him. He went back north and I assumed he left the area. Half hour later a doe came by and I sshot her. I hit a liitle back but it looked like a good liver hit. She rannorth and I stood up to watch her and about 100 yards she stopped. All of a sudden here she comes flying back at me. I couldn' t get an arrow nocked but I couldn' tbelieve she was on her feet. That same coyote was right on her heels so I yelled and he veered out in the field and she fell on the run about 20 yards later. He still didn' t want to leave until I showed myself and climbed down. I think if you got a good hit around here you better not wait too long anymore. He sure would have ruined that doe.
[:@]
Old 11-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear the coyotes beat ya to it. [:' (]
Old 11-13-2003, 06:37 AM

I lost a wide 8 point to those suckers this year in less than 3 hours. The Yotes are not very afraid of people any more around this area. I have declared war on them and suggest you do the same.[8D]
Old 11-13-2003, 09:21 AM

Where you from Angus? I ask because I had a deer get half eaten by " something" earlier this year, too. But, I didn' t think we had ' yotes too close to my area. Although, I' m starting to hear stories and they' re getting closer to home.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple years ago, I had the hindquarters of 2 deer eaten in 2 days in two different hunting locations. One was a big doe and 60% of her was gone and she didn' t even require field dressing. The other one was a white buck and the back portion of him was messed up by whatever got to him before me. If I were you, I' d be yote huntin' whenver I got the chance.

Quick Reply: Yotes got my deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.