Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do You think deer can detect human outline? >

Do You think deer can detect human outline?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do You think deer can detect human outline?

Old 11-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Do You think deer can detect human outline?

I just bought the Shannons 3D big leaf Bug Tamer. supposed to completely hide human out line besides keep out the bugs(main reason for purchase). Ive heard different things on deer eyesight. Im convinced that they can detect human outline. Just wanted some input.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 AM

Default RE: Do You think deer can detect human outline?

I think the most important thing to realize is that humans are essentially their only predator that stands upright. So in that sense, I would say they definitely can detect human outline.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:19 AM

Yep I would have to agree. No matter what kind of camo you have on if you don' t have some kind of back ground cover to break up your outline you are going to get busted.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:21 AM

I do know that they act freaky if you get down on your hands and knees or simply crouch down in a squatting position. I' ve had a few walk closer trying to figure out what I was while stomping and snorting trying to get me to move.

While hunting with a pistol I' ve actually crawled around and kept putting my head down as though I was eating and had a doe come into easy range trying to figure out what I was ....probably wouldn' t work with a bow though .......
Old 11-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been using the pin-on leaves with great success. It worked great during turkey season with their great eyesight and the deer haven' t appeared to be able to spot me when wearing them. They break up the outline much better than conventional camoflage.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree. If you are camo' d out and NOT moving (KEY HERE IS NOT MOVING), they know nothing unless they smell you. I can' t tell you how many deer started my way upwind when I saw them first and have literally walked within feet from me. I had a deer once come across a 30 acre field just to check me out. I was froze the second I saw him coming out of the woods. He walked all the way to me, got up behind me and started pawing the ground trying to make me move - this was within five feet.

Remember too - deer see almost all the way around them, but, have no depth perception while looking straight ahead. That' s why when they look up at you in the tree, you can actually draw on them without detection because they have no depth perception. (wouldn' t reccommend testing this, but trust me, it works).
Old 11-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else. That is why we wear camo. And try our best to have a back drop that we can blend into. I bought Sneaky Leaf this year and pinned a bunch of those leaves on my clothes and it has seemed to help some. I' ve seen more deer this year and had more within range than any other year I' ve hunted. Next year I' m gonna take it up another notch and get the ASAT camo. From all the reviews and test photos it appears to be awesome camo even though it looks nothing like what most people think camo should look like.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: badshotbob

Remember too - deer see almost all the way around them, but, have no depth perception while looking straight ahead.
I have read this a lot here on the this board, and I can' t dispute it except for wondering how it is they can run through the woods so flawlessly, both night and day, if they have such poor depth perception. Can anyone explain this?

They can be running at full tilt (what is that- 30-40 mph?) and all the while jump perfectly over every obstacle, swerve around every tree and keep their antlers from hitting low hanging branches. Sounds like pretty good depth perception to me, unless if I am misunderstanding what depth perception does.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve thought about the same thing by23856. How in the world can a deer run full bore in the middle of the night all while jumping over barb wire fences that ar 1/16 of an inch thick, and dodge limbs and small trees. That is truely amazing. They have to have unreal perception and low light sight.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:35 PM

I think deer can definately see your outline. Before camo, modern hunters used flannel clothing to do it.

I asked a native american why they had fringe on alot of their clothing in the old days, he said it was to break up their outline when hunting. Deer skins didn' t come with fringe already on them.

Quick Reply: Do You think deer can detect human outline?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.