Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 " Swinging both ways" >

" Swinging both ways"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

" Swinging both ways"

Old 11-12-2003, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default " Swinging both ways"

I just completed a very good season of bowhunting and I was wondering just how many of you have the same problem I have. So I thought I' d come out of the closet and ask: How many of you swing both ways with your bowhunting? As you can tell by my handle I' m a traditional equipment user but this year I had an event change that for a minute. A good friend of mine was having an auction of his families homestead after his Father' s death. Being of the age when things were hard to come by his Father never allowed them to throw anything away or trade it or sell it. You took good care of it and if you got a new one you stored the other away. Well, during the auction my friends 1973 Bear Alaskan compound came up for sale. It had only been used for 2 years and looked brand new. The auctioneer had no idea what it was and so I got it for $50.00 with quiver. I just couldn' t let the dumb thing alone!
I used to own an archery business in which I sold compounds so I had taken one season and shot buck in PA, WV and OH with a compound so I could talk intellegently about the bows I sold. I took this bow and matched it up with arrows and broadheads and sighted it in. With a huge 30% let-off it worked just fine with fingers. So I hunted with it and killed a good 8pt. the first night I carried it. I then took my longbow out and filled my doe tag two evenings later.
Does anybody else hunt with both types of equipment? Or should I have stayed in the closet?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: " Swinging both ways"

longbowman I swing both ways, but not like you, I swing three ways, I hunt with a compound, black powder and gun. I will be honest and say that I prefer to kill a deer with my bow, but I still enjoy gun hunting also. I feel that the choice of weapon to hunt with is up to the hunter and what pleases them, or puts meat in the freezer if that is one of the reasons they hunt. If it makes you happy go for it.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:52 AM

I think lots of guys are doing what you did. I started out with traditional equipment (all there was back then). I switched to compounds well after they first introduced and now I actually have some bow staves drying, that I cut about six months ago. I' m going to actually attempt to make my own longbow and plan on hunting with it. I' d like to make it a goal to take a deer " both ways" each season. The longer I hunt, the more important it becomes to not just shoot deer, but to take them in more challenging ways.

This is a natural progression in my opinion. Although some started bowhunting simply because it extended their hunting season, many were attracted to it, because of the greater challenge it offered over gun hunting. Once they become accomplished bow hunters, additional challenges are often looked for.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 AM

I shoot a compound bow, a shotgun and a muzzleloader for deer. I used to think that using my recurve and my compound at the same time was confusing and I would make mistakes with one because of the form for the other. Not true. I went both ways for one season and collected deer with both. It was kinda fun. I just like to shoot my compound at deer. Have a great time. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can shoot instinctively and do it effectively.

Greg
Old 11-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never really had the opportunity or desire to get into the traditional side of our sport though I could definitely see it as being one of those things that I would eventually get into if I ever want to consider myself a well-rounded hunter. But, like Taz, I do hunt with a variety of other weapons so you can throw me into the " swingin' " category as well....
Old 11-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm.... I' m not sure how to answer this one! I have a variety of weapons for different uses....

PSE Edge 1000C compound bow: Deer
Remington 870 Express 12GA: Deer, Turkey, Ducks, Geese
Marlin Mod 60 .22LR: Squirrels, plinking targets with my girls.
Taurus 85, .38SP snubnose: Home defense, target shooting.

I need a muzzleloader to add to my " one of each" philosophy. I have a bow, I have a shotgun, I have a rifle, I have a pistol..... Hmmm.... I nice Thompson Center Omega would be nice!

Butch
Old 11-12-2003, 07:49 AM

OK i' ll come out also, i use muzzleloader, shotgun, and bow. I' m like the rest on this site, there is nothing like filling a tag using a bow. So there i' m out of the closet.....[:-][:-]
Old 11-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with various methods. I started out using a recurve, and now all my archery is done with a compound. I hunt deer with a rifle too. Haven' t got an itch to get into blackpowder. I can really see myself getting into hunting with a pistol. Probably next year.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:36 AM

I' m with Taz too so I' m out of the closet...B.T.W. Ive been told that I look just splendid in my designer camo...When you layer it with a pull over cardigan as well as a dickey it is functional yet stylish and tasteful...