Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question about Colorado Mule Deer >

Question about Colorado Mule Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Colorado Mule Deer

Old 08-21-2022, 02:06 PM
Spike

Smile Question about Colorado Mule Deer

Hi everyone,
I looked and did not see my question, so I hope I am not making a duplicate thread.
I am sorta new here. I say sorta cuz a few years ago I was here and got help with hunting gear and buying a good hunting knife (still have it! Thanks!).
Anyway, I am practicing for a mule deer hunt in Colorado with my mom and her BF this fall. I have rifle hunted whitetail in Pennsylvania for a few years now and I bow fish as often as they'll take me. I am grouping 6 inches at 45 yards. It is a bear bow with 55 pounds pull.
My question is if this is good enough? Also, I will be above 8500ft in elevation so I wonder if that changes shooting? I know the altitude is hard. I got to colorado every few years and I have done gymnastics there too once. But I am wondering about the arrow in thin air.
Thanks!
~c~

Last edited by TinkerTumbles; 08-21-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TinkerTumbles
Hi everyone,
I looked and did not see my question, so I hope I am not making a duplicate thread.
I am sorta new here. I say sorta cuz a few years ago I was here and got help with hunting gear and buying a good hunting knife (still have it! Thanks!).
Anyway, I am practicing for a mule deer hunt in Colorado with my mom and her BF this fall. I have rifle hunted whitetail in Pennsylvania for a few years now and I bow fish as often as they'll take me. I am grouping 6 inches at 45 yards. It is a bear bow with 55 pounds pull.
My question is if this is good enough? Also, I will be above 8500ft in elevation so I wonder if that changes shooting? I know the altitude is hard. I got to colorado every few years and I have done gymnastics there too once. But I am wondering about the arrow in thin air.
Thanks!
~c~
I would work on tightening up my group if I were you. No idea about the thinner air in CO, I am going to CO in early OCT for pronghorn with a rifle.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:20 AM
Spike

Thanks Oldtimer!
Im definitely going to keep working on my groups and distance. my goal is three inches at 55 yards. But, I hope what i can do now will be good enough, just in case. I think my problem is strength. I bow fish at a lot less weighted pull. So, i am working on my shoulders and back and shooting a bit less these past few weeks but will go back to shooting more next monday.
I will be there in late September. their seasons are weird. Then (I hope) whitetail in Nov in PA.
Have a great week!

~c~
Old 08-22-2022, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Oldtimer!
Im definitely going to keep working on my groups and distance. my goal is three inches at 55 yards. But, I hope what i can do now will be good enough, just in case. I think my problem is strength. I bow fish at a lot less weighted pull. So, i am working on my shoulders and back and shooting a bit less these past few weeks but will go back to shooting more next monday.
I will be there in late September. their seasons are weird. Then (I hope) whitetail in Nov in PA.
Have a great week!

~c~
To get your shooting muscles in condition you should try to shppt every day un until your trip. More shooting will also help you with being steady when you are at full draw. Are you shooting a recurve or a compound?
Old 08-22-2022, 04:29 PM
Spike

Oh Wow! I thought weights, but I will get back to shooting daily. I like shooting better anyway and have done weights a few weeks now
its a bear compound bow. I'll post a picture. I think the let off is 50 or maybe 60.
Thanks again!
~c~
Old 08-22-2022, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Wow! I thought weights, but I will get back to shooting daily. I like shooting better anyway and have done weights a few weeks now
its a bear compound bow. I'll post a picture. I think the let off is 50 or maybe 60.
Thanks again!
~c~
The weights aren't hurting anything.

But I would do as much good shooting practice as you can between now and then. Good being the key. If any part of your form is suffering then it's time to be done for the day.

A couple shots every day at least will go a long way though.

-Jake
Old 08-23-2022, 04:28 AM
Spike

Thanks Boca,
I totally get form before fail.... I did shoot better last night, but its too soon to start bragging It was for sure noticabley easier to hold tho. I normally shot 12-16 before i feel fatigued.
I really apricate the help. From reading online it sounds like the arrow will fly the same with in 80 yards and I dont think I will ever be grouping there So, I'll work at it till we go.
If anyone has any tips for Colorado clothes, I'm curious about that too. My uncle says it can be freezing in morning and 80 at 10:00 (cold and tiny ppl dont mix) . But I will probably start a different thread about this, if I dont find one.
Thanks! Happy Hunting!
~c~
Old 09-09-2022, 09:51 AM
Spike

saw my first bull elk today! Crazy huge and smelly!
Fun!
~c~
Old 09-18-2022, 01:07 AM
Spike

Great read, thanks for posting