Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Almost Busted!!! >

Almost Busted!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Almost Busted!!!

Old 11-11-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Almost Busted!!!

Went out this morning and decided to sit a different stand due to the wind and weather. It was a south southwest wind and foggy great conditions for seeing deer in my area. Well a doe and a fawn came in and milled around for a while then the fawn left. Mumma stuck it out for a while when at 7:45am I heard that tell tale tip toe of a buck (so I thought). My though was right when he popped out of the thick balsams and I caught a glimpse of his antlers. His head was down and hard to see but I could definately see antlers. While he was not in sight anymore somehow I got picked off by the doe. She couldn' t figure me out but did let out a blow and trotted off about 30 yards out of sight. That is when I pulled out my grunt call and gave three suttle grunts to appease the buck hoping it would think the doe blew at him. Well I think it worked cause the buck never got spooked, he just turned around and went back the way he came stopping in an open spot about 35 yards away giving me a better look at him. Looked to have 8 or 9 points if there were brow tines, maybe 13 or 14 inch spread at my best guess. Not a huge buck but nice for our area. Well to make this long story short, he walked of never giving me a shot but the doe came backafter a few more grunts. I was at a stand off with the two deer for 20 minutes, what a blast. I have a week left of my vacation so I hope to see him or his daddy again.

Good luck to you all!!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Almost Busted!!!

Good story! We all need to remember to keep an eye on those baldies. They' ll blow your cover every time!