Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 butcher your own deer??? >

butcher your own deer???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

butcher your own deer???

Old 11-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default butcher your own deer???

I was thinking about trying to butcher my own deer. I have absolutly no knowledge on how to go about doing so....is it a complicated process??? Im alittle nervous because i dont want to mess it up. I was thinking about picking up a video or something....any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:16 PM

Default RE: butcher your own deer???

there are some videos on how to and that would be a good start. What did you have in mind , just steaks and hamburg. thats what I do . I bone out the meat then let it set up in a freezer for awhile then use a slicer to slice steaks. I take the meat for hamburg to a butcher they grind it for me. I get some bacon added to it. Want to try something good try baconburgers. Its not that hard to do. If you mess up just eat your misteaks. you get to pick all the hair off , you get all of your meat, and you get your meat.
Go for it. good luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call 1-866-eat deer good product good
video,worth the call!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

always butcher and cut up my own deer.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:23 PM

In 30 years of deer hunting I' ve never had a deer commercially processed. I always do my own. Quarter them out and filet out the back straps and tenderloins. Don' t forget to cut the meat off the neck for grinding up into chili meat. If you can, put these in a fridge for a few days and it will be alot easier to work with. Then, debone the quarters. Fronts will be mostly for ginding but some good quality meat for chunking into stew meat. Rear quarters can be cut into steaks,roasts, or stew meat. Don' t be afraid of it. The more you do the better you' ll get. Besides, you' ll know exactly how your venison was handled from field to freezer. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:55 PM

I' ve always butchered my own. But then again, I didn' t eat store bought beef or pork until I was almost 20.

My dad raised livestock and we' ve always butchered our own.

Quarter the deer, chill it in an ice chest and then debone it.

Cut the back hams, tenderloins and backstraps in to steaks or fry meat, the rest can be used for stew, ground or roasts. The neck makes a couple of good roasts.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:21 AM

Gun season we always do our own. But we have got it down pretty well after 9 years. Backstraps whole, roasts, and scrap for whatever. Bow season depends, most of the gun hunters don' t bow hunt so there is not a lot of help. This year, my brother and I both got one on a Thursday, recovered one late evening/early morning, and the other mid morning. If we had cut them up, we would have missed the weekend.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:07 AM

Here' s a good link with pics to get you started.

http://www.indianasportsmen.com/foru...=&threadid=201
Old 11-11-2003, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had always taken my deer to a butcher to get processed. However over the last two or three years the prices of getting one processed have skyrocketed in my area. They are not asking for around $125 to have the deer processed and the meat wrapped in freezer paper. A little too rich for my blood so I had the neighbor give me a " how to" course on how to butcher one. I am still no expert at it by any measure but I do now know what to take and where to cut.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

$125..... wow PA. That could get expensive. Let' s see (Z x $= $$$$) Z being numbers of deer. Holy mackrel, I could have had the other half of the Ferrari.

Quick Reply: butcher your own deer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.