Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How to hunt nocturnal deer >

How to hunt nocturnal deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to hunt nocturnal deer

Old 10-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default How to hunt nocturnal deer

One of my best hunting spots it seems the deer have gone nocturnal. we did get a doe on the second day and have cams all over the place. We haven't had any sightings since and all the pic are at night.

How should I change my strategy to get a nocturnal deer?
Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

well most times deer go nocturnal is when they are feeling pressure, be it from hunting or just humans about a lot in day time, another reason is if they have access to food in large amounts, as in crop fields and food plots
deer ain't dumb and have learned that the food is there 124/7, and its safer to eat at night when less humans are about to bother them!
SO< if your hunting your land a lot or often, YOU might be the reason there nocturnal
and the only way they will return m, will be when YOU or others stop pressuring them, and that can takes weeks or months for them to return to a more day time active habit again!

this si why so many land owners make great efforts to have sanctuary on there land , that NEVER get human contact or very little
leaving the deer a place to be safe ALL the time, and then limit the amopunt of time they spend on there hunting area's as well!

ways to HUNT pressured deer,?
well there is NO great way if there nocturnal

BUT if you wanted to try something
something, I know some hunters have success with
what they do is push the bedding area's out to MAKE the deer have to move in the day time and then TRY and get in a stand, some where between where you booted them out and there bedding area, and HOPE to catch one returning after having been bumped out of the place
this can be tricky,a s you can end up driving the deer on your property to others lands, where again, they just don't have humans bothering them!

its very hard top make nocturnal deer, be day time active, the smarter one's learn this and that's why they grow older?

if you have food plots, you can TRY adding electric fence and turning on at night time and turning off for day time, that can MAYBE work too, but again, you could also end up having them move to places where its not a issue eating out of a food plot!

deer going nocturnal is something a LOT of hunters have happen, and a lot of times, its due to the hunter teaching them there being hunted

NOT having good IN and OUT of stands is a BIG part IMO< of teaching deer YOUR movements, and they learn fast how to pattern YOU
just like over hunting 1 a stand, or just over hunting a property
deer learn hunters and human habits and adapt!

the smarter you hunt, the better you will be at hunting

human scent is also a big part of being patterned by deer
more pressured the deer are, in my experience, they more sensitive they are to scent!
so, hope this helps you or gives you some things to consider!

Old 10-13-2021, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Set up a drive and chase them out!
Old 10-16-2021, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You and your buddy set up on the downwind edge of a field where they are feeding at night and have a good 12 V battery and a strong spotlight. Have your AR-15 or AR-10 rigged up with a real good suppressor and presto - a freezer full of venison! LOL Joking of course.
But to do it legally find out where they are feeding and set up a little closer to their bedding areas about every 3 days or so. Just don't get too close to spook them. Or wait for the rut and hunt all day. That's about the only time a good buck MAY let his guard down. He only has one thing on his mind and it isn't eating.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:09 PM
Spike

As nocturnal deer remain active throughout the night and sleep in the day. I would say that you must get night vision binoculars to catch nocturnal deer.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Spike

I was going to suggest a really bright spotlight.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:24 AM
Spike

Or a really bright spotlight?
Old 05-08-2022, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Another very old post revisited.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:51 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by khilat
As nocturnal deer remain active throughout the night and sleep in the day. I would say that you must get night vision binoculars to catch nocturnal deer.
As nocturnal deer remain active throughout the night and sleep in the day