Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 image burned in memory >

image burned in memory

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

image burned in memory

Old 11-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default image burned in memory

We were up at camp this weekend. Friday night went out spotting. We spot a nice buck in a field close to the road. Upon watching him, both his front legs are busted up bad (car accident??). He is trying to walk on his back legs and elbows of his front legs. Man thats the worst! What can you legally do...nothing! He has no chance of making it. I' ve never felt so bad for an animal. I suppose I could have went out Saturday and try' d to get permission to hunt him. But then I use my (only)tag for a mercy killing. I know nature is cruel but sometimes witnessing it is a sad sight.
He did finally make it into the tree line, I imagine his struggle is now over, but the image remains.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2003, 09:47 AM
New Sheriff

Default RE: image burned in memory

Sometimes what' s legal and what' s humane are two different things.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

You could have called the dept of game and had them send out a warden, who would have hopefully put the animal down! He probably would have offered the animal to you afterwards. I do not know what I would have done if they did not come out , but dont know if I could have not done anything.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:08 AM

I think I would have put him down.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

A friend of ours saw a big buck get smacked by a car a few years back. The next day we went to look for it and we found him still alive, but both back legs were broken clean off at the knees. When we found him he tried running away on his broken legs. It was one of the most painful things I' ve ever had to witness. It took us over an hour to eventually catch up with him and we ended up shooting him and putting one of our archery tags on him just to make it legal and put the poor deer out of it' s misery.

When we finally got him cleaned and hung the insides of the bones in his back legs were packed full of mud and debris from where he' d been running on them. I don' t even want to think about the pain that deer must have been in.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank the lord I have never been in this position with a deer, I have been there with dogs, cats and squirrels, I used what I had at the time to put the animal out of its misery and can honestly say the law can be damned when it comes to a suffering animal, I will put it out of its misery and suffer the consequences.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:42 AM

Amen Tazman
Old 11-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know, thats what sounds right, and I agree with you guys. But when faced with that situation directly, maybe it' s different. We had no weapons of any kind, not even a knife. (strictly forbidden in Pa when spotting). Running after even a crip with a tire iron to bash his head in seems just as bad as doing nothing. Imagine getting caught by a less sympathetic law officer. Then I get labeled as a poacher and lose my hunting rights, pay fines etc.
Unfortunately, i' ve seen people do the right thing in other circumstances and get burned for it. If I was in the woods and saw that it would have ben different. I would have taken him. Back when spikes were legal in Pa, I once shot one as it came by me on opening day. The deer was falling every couple of steps, his guts trailing out behind him. The victim of a young hunters shot. Boy was I glad when the kid showed up trailing the deer. I told him it was his to keep I just ended his suffering. The kid was happy and the deers suffering was shortend, and I didn' t have to explain to the others at camp why I shot a spike! (we had a no spike rule even then).
Old 11-10-2003, 11:43 AM

I couldn' t have left it. Bow, pistol, knife, whatever. Worst case scenerio I would have called the police.

Quick Reply: image burned in memory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.