Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Scouting area before a hunt >

Scouting area before a hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting area before a hunt

Old 11-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Spike

Default Scouting area before a hunt

Before I hunt a area I usually Scout out the immediate area to check for tracks, check the wind, and see if there have been any developments. It takes about 20 minutes and most of the time I am pretty early in the afternoon. Its new England so it is a forest.

Sometimes get useful information, But should I stop doing this to avoid spooking deer. or is it a good idea?
Old 11-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO< it can be both good to know what the area is like, sign and all, but at same time your actually pushing game out of the area and you move about and leave scent behind
if your having luck hunting this way, stick to it, if your not, I would suggest scouting area's before hunting season gets here and or scout a few area's in mid day IN season and go to a different area to hunt that evening maybe and come back to better area's you found after a day or so , to allow time for things to return to more natural like , less disturbance
you also didn;'t mention if this was archery season or GUN season, which can matter,a s come gun season it might matter less, as after opening day in many states deer are bounced all over all day long and things might not matter as much, unless a more private less pressured area, then back to the above would be my suggestion!
Old 11-12-2020, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

mrbb gives good advice.

Myself, I'd like to know the lay of the land and that would justify going in cautiously. Be sensible about it for sure. The last thing you'd want to do is go charging into a bedding area during naptime.

Many will insist that a buck will tolerate a bumping once, but not much more if any. The thing is, there are many deer and what attracted that big one is going to likely attract other deer. If you do bump a big one, he may well return, and its worth knowing why he was there. It will still be attractive to other deer, and their territories overlap. Just look at all the photos that come from trail cameras for the evidence. Numerous nice deer will often appear on the same camera.

If you can;t go in or think it unwise, try stillhunting the first day or two. Maybe carry a small portable stool and some cheap camo burlap in a pack in case you come across a good spot. Hit the nearest blowdown and improvise a blind. There's also that old adage: " Find a stump. Sit on it."

This might help: a few years ago, a hunting mag interviewed several very successful trophy hunters. One of them was a bowhunter who did not scout for lack of time. He simply went through the woods till he found a hot oak tree and set up downwind.