Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I shot a Black Bear This Evening!!!! >

I shot a Black Bear This Evening!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I shot a Black Bear This Evening!!!!

Old 11-06-2003, 11:33 PM

Default I shot a Black Bear This Evening!!!!

I have been hunting hard this year and so far it has been a dry spell. I had been getting no action. I hadn' t even released and arrow. Well, the beard that I grow out for hunting season every year I was afraid was jinxing me this year so this morning I shaved it hoping for better luck. I went hunting and when arriving at the site as I moved in I bumped 3 deer. They didn' t fly out of town, they just sorda sneaked off. I ranged where they were and they were only 22 yards if I had only known they were there. OH well.
Well I decided to make a circle and come back in on the top of the mountain around some green fields. When I got close enough to see I spotted 3 more deer feeding in the grass beside a gas well. I was about 120 yards away. I decided to try and stalk them since the wind was in my favor. I got to the edge of the grass and woodline and was trying to get the gas well between us so I could stalk out in the open closer to them but they moved to the side. I ranged the biggest and it was 50 yards away. I have a 45 yard pin so I decided to take the shot with the deer broadside. I saw the arrow going for the deer and then the deer go over the side hill. I waited a bit and moved slowly over to where it was standing to see If I could see my arrow. I could not find it, but then I began to hear something walking around the hill. I moved over against the first tree in the woodline to get my body out of the open. It got closer and as I watched at 25 yards it appeared, only it was not a deer, it was a black bear. I had killed my first bear with a bow two years ago and did not think it likely to see another so soon as many go a hunting lifetime and never see a bear with a bow. I also noticed that it was exceptionally huge. Its head looked to be the size of a 50 gallon drum barrell. It dwarfed my first bear kill and the first was 275lbs. It raised up on its back legs and scented the air. It was moving toward the grassy open. I had my scent- lok suit on thankfully. It went back to all four and moved closer. As it went behind the last tree I pulled back my bow and was already looking through my peep. The bear was coming into the open only 15 yards from where I was standing. I let it take two steps into the grass and settled the pin on the bear and let the arrow go. What happened next was a priveledge to see. I heard a huge THWAK!!! I also saw the arrow enter the bear right dead behind the front shoulder with the bear broadside. Upon the hit, the bear let out a growl with a burst of air at the same time. I still don' t know how it did that or if that signals anything. The arrow seemed to bury up good although it did not pass through. The bear was knocked backwards and whirled its head sideways towards the arrow. The hit was so hard that the bear was slammed to the ground and rolled. As it rolled it pushed the arrow back through, and the bear dissapeared over the hillside. I heard brush breaking for what I imagined to be about 100 yards then total silence. There was no one hunting with me and no one else on the mountain so I waited 30 minutes and moved slowly to where my arrow was. I picked it up and it had blood and hair and meaty stuff on it up to about 18 inches and the end was broke off. My guess is that the arrow lodged in the off shoulder and upon the roll it broke the carbon arrows end off in it. I decided not to move into the woods towards it. Again I was alone and did not want to take a chance of getting in a hairy situation by myself. I called my hunting buddies and they came to help me track it down. We entered the place of the shot around 2 hours after the events took place. By the way, the day was a rainy, foggy, day. Upon entering into the woods the most experienced of my hunting buddies which is my father-in-law who taught me to hunt found blood. There was a massive amount of it. It was bright red and he said it was spraying blood everywhere. This was good to hear considering the rain and 2 hours later. I thought for sure the rain would have washed it away. He tracked for about 30 yards and said from the amount of blood that we should be walking up on it anytime. We ended up trailing blood for about 100 yards and it began to wash out. It was getting into more of an open area and undoubtedly the rain had begin to wash it away. The blood did become more dark red towards the end of the blood we were finding. My father in law was shocked that we had not found it yet. We circled looking for more blood and finding none. We decided to continue to move down hill in the direction the bear had been moving hoping to either find it or some more blood. We ended up at the foot of the hill in the road, and humped back to the trucks. We had marked the blood found with paper towels all along the trail and my father in law saids that the bear is dead somewhere. He thinks we probably walked by it. He said it may have turned to the left or right at the last blood found and we walked by. It was 10:00pm and he said we would come back in the morning and look again when we could see around us better and bring more help to look. I have heard to many stories of the ones that got away or was not found and began to wonder and doubt. Pops said, he felt pretty confident we would find it in the morning. I am grateful to have had a successful day and experienced the bear hunt and kill. I just pray now that we recover it tommorrow. What is your alls opinions on what I have shared with you. Any of the details lend you to believe any thing particular about the trail? The color of the blood, place of hit, anything. Thanks for your help.
Whitey
Old 11-06-2003, 11:42 PM

Default RE: I shot a Black Bear This Evening!!!!

What happened with the deer you shot at? Sounds like you got you a dead bear! Congrats!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:44 PM

By the time the bear events were over it was dark thirty. I will look for the deer tomorrow also.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:51 AM

Do you think you hit the deer?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hmmmmm
Old 11-07-2003, 06:00 AM
nub

Sounds like a dead bear. Don' t forget to look for that deer.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

A 50 yard shot on a deer is really pushing it IMO, I hope you either had a clean miss or you find it. Congrats on the bear though, from what you described that bear will not be far from the last blood.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Dido on the bear. I hope your find it.

As for the deer[:' (] You took a fifty yard shot at it!? Talk about a hail mary! That' s not cool bro! At that range, I' m not surprized you didn' t see the impact. Your putting the arc back into archery! [>:] You need to think about bringing your max shooting range down to a more comfortable level. Anyway I wish you luck on both and make sure to take some pictures.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

well after a long weekend, do you have a report?

Old 11-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

badatta I was wondering the same thing.