Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Absolutle disaster tonight.  Nothing worse. >

Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Old 11-07-2003, 12:58 AM

Default RE: Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Man that sucks. I dont see why you need to pull so much weight though. Even if it wasnt that cold I just dont think 70 is necesary. I only pull like 58 and it does just fine. why kill yourself?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:57 AM

I' m convinced 75% of the people bowhunting today are overbowed. Sure, you can shoot all summer in the backyard and never have trouble getting the bow back. But sitting in the cold all bundled up is bound to reduce your muscles flexiblity quite a bit. In addition, a lot of guys hunt from a climbing treestand, many of which leave your arms feeling rubbery from the climb. With the efficiency of today' s bows, there is no reason anyone has to shoot over 60 lbs. for anything they might hunt in the U.S.. Heck, with bows like the Patriot or Pro 40 Dually, 50 lbs. @ 29" is plenty for anything in the U.S..
Old 11-07-2003, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should also be concerned with potentially hurting yourself. It' s a good thing you didn' t tear something when that buck stepped out and your adrenaline started flowing.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

OOooo Man does that suck! I feel for ya bud!

I had that happen to me about 8 years ago on a bear. Everyone told me I was too exited but I new that wasn' t it. What I found was my coveralls were too small and my elbow couldn' t be raised while in the seated possition.

I hope you get another wack at em he sounds like a beauty!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, it could have been a lot worse.

Just think, you could have shot the doe which probably would have spooked the buck and you never would have even seen him!

That must have been one hell of a buck.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been there myself and it' s a sick feeling.Now i crank the bow out so it feels almost too easy to pull back--it' s more fun to be able to draw back for SURE at the moment of truth than to have all i can handle and hope i' m in a good position so i can get the bow drawn--after a couple times of not being able to draw i had no confidence left.Now i know i can pull it back in any position and i feel alot better about what might happen.I' ll never go thru that again!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I' ll say it again.....SISSY!!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:37 AM

Will your current bow not go down to 60 lbs??? That' s all you need for Whitetails. Turn that thing down and quit worrying about pulling as much wait as you can stand. I' ve been able to draw 70 lbs since I started shooting a bow and have never hunted with more than 61 lbs. You don' t need it. Your arrow will just be stuck a little farther in the ground. I' d rather shoot slower than not at all. Turn that thing down.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

i guess I don' t understand......I have been so cold in the stand that my quads were making my kneecaps jump up and down, my body jerked uncontrollably, and I couldn' t stop my head from shaking. And yet when a deer walks in, I am still able to make a smooth draw. And I shoot 72 lbs. It' s not like rigor mortis sets in.
Or maybe I' m Superman.
Maybe subconsciously you don' t really want to shoot a deer anymore.
Brian
Old 11-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds more like buck fever/target panic than anything else. WIth all that excitement and adrenline, cold be damned, you should be able to draw a bow that you shoot, regularly, in warm weather. Sounds like you just choked for one reason or another.

Quick Reply: Absolutle disaster tonight. Nothing worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.