Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scrape experiment >

Scrape experiment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scrape experiment

Old 11-06-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Scrape experiment

Well yall, i finally got a chance to test what everyones been saying about peeing on scrapes. Thismorning i went out and sat a little while before school and while i was coming in i left MY high dollar buck attractant all over the scrape... Im going to go out there now and get a pic of the scrape if it hasnt been tore up even more(too wet and misty for a good pic this morning) so i will hopefully get some results on this I have yet to see a buck in the area, but there is a scrape line all the way down the tree line, im testing the first and largest one.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Scrape experiment

That' s funny....I did the same thing this evening. But mine will be a real test for sure cause I' m female!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:52 PM

No fair Jen..... You have the natural advantage!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:51 AM

Those recent posts got me thinkin' too. I' ve gotten a buck this year already, so I figured it was a good time to try it. I created a scrape about 20 yards in front of my stand about 3 weeks ago. I only use this stand sparingly (sp?) so I didnt know how deer were reacting to it. I can tell you though, they were not keeping it cleaned up. So yesterday I hunt that stand. I go over to the scrape, clean it up and, urinate on it. Within 1/2 hour I was lucky enough to have 2 different bucks come in the area. The first buck(small 4pt) walked down the trail the scrape was on. When he got to the scrape, he stopped, smelled it, and just stood there, calm as could be. Never spooked or got nervous. The second buck(decent 6pt) came in on a trail upwind of the scrape, and caught the scent. He slowly walked towards it trying to find the source. When he came upon it, he acted the same as the previous buck. Very calm, not excited or jumpy at all. Now, both deer walked away from the scrape without pawing it, urinating on it, or using the licking branch. BUT, what they did do is STOP without getting spooked. I could have shot either buck very easily because they stopped where I wanted them to. So did it " work" ? who knows, but I have to admit, Im not going to worry about peeing in the woods as much as i used to.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 AM

Well, so far my test has sort of worked.... Three does were walking in too far to shoot but near the scrape. One of the does was sniffing heavily and she eventually came to where I walked and where the scrape is. She sniffed and sniffed mainly at the scrape. Then she walked back to join the other two does. They were looking for a place to bed down. They slowly walked back into the thick area out of sight.... If anything develops I' ll let you know....
Old 11-07-2003, 02:16 PM

JEN,
I think lady forge has used this to her advantage several times......as well as some other feminine by-products....yup, you guessed it.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:23 PM

Checked out the scrape again yesterday. There was a little bit of disturbed dirt and a few hoof prints of decent size. I can see this scrape from one place that I have a ground blind and I have seen three different bucks pass by and never go near it. I wonder who is making the action? Wish I had a GameCam....
Mossy Oak...how has yours turned out?
Old 11-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better watch out for them game cams Jen
Old 11-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

Better watch out for them game cams Jen
LOL.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:03 AM

HAR HAR DE HAR HAR HAR

Well the wind was right today so I parked myself overlooking the scrape. 8 am sharp here he comes. Turns out to be an old 7 pointer with a wide rack. He was headed for the scrape and the funny thing is he came in from downwind 5 minutes after Mother Nature called[]. And the sad part is.... if there was only one twig left in the whole woods it would be where I shoot[:@] Now I gotta go glue my vane back on...............

Quick Reply: Scrape experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.