Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Man I wish I could smoke cigars in the stand >

Man I wish I could smoke cigars in the stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man I wish I could smoke cigars in the stand

Old 11-05-2003, 07:28 PM

Default Man I wish I could smoke cigars in the stand

After awhile in the stand I get VERY bored or exhausted from watching for deer. It would be so relaxing if I could just fire up a cigar and relax on the stand but I think I would kill my already slim chances of getting a deer.

Who knows maybe the deer are used to cigar smoke since I' m hunting near cigar wrapper tobacco fields!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Man I wish I could smoke cigars in the stand

I know of a guy that does! He never gets a deer
Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 PM
nub

Hunting is suppose to be fun. If it takes fireing up a stoggie to get there, have at it. Just make sure you play the wind. I' m sure there are guys out there a lot more anal about scent control who never get a deer. Just make sure to take it out of your mouth when you draw.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:45 PM

only one way to find out what the deer think about the smell prolly would draw in something as far as curiousity
Old 11-05-2003, 09:23 PM

It might not hurt to try it. I don' t think deer would associate cigar smoke with people, and they might not consider the smell dangerous. I know a guy that smokes a lot. I think he might even smoke in the woods, and he hunts from the ground a lot. He' s a very successful hunter. I' ve heard about people hanging their clothes in woodsmoke to cover up any human odors.
I don' t know for sure, but cigar smoke may not be such a terrible thing.

peashooter
Old 11-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting partner smokes in the stand. Now, he' s never shot a wall hanger, BUT, he has put out numerous cigarettes to shoot his deer. It' s all in the wind. Hunt the wind.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got em - smoke em. My experience is deer react less to smoke than human scent - keep in mind - the deer is likely to get a wiff of both.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:54 AM

Its funny this came up

Saturday mourn in the dark this car pulls up and parks next to me. I am just finished getting dressed and putting my stand on my back. This guy opens his car door - and it looked like a cheach and chong movie - with plums of smoke bellowing out of the car, (I can see through the street lights). This guy gets out with a fat stogie smoked down to the nub - grabs his recurve and little seat, walks up to me introduces himself as I reluctantly shake his stinky hand, and walks off.

The guy just reeked of smoke.............

Who knows, maybe he shot bullwinkle that day
Old 11-06-2003, 07:05 AM

I think what I' m going to do is stay smoke free for sunrise and sit as long as I can. When I get to the bored out of my mind point when I would leave I' ll fire one up, If I spook a deer it won' t be a big deal since I would have left!

Hopefully ANY deer will come in to investigate, I need some MEAT!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have put one out to take a shot on more than one occasion, if you are playing the wind right you will be fine as far as the smell goes, what will get you busted is the movements involved in smoking, when I smoke I drop entirely drop out of sight in my stand/blind to where movement is not visible and simply take a sneak peek in between draws.

Quick Reply: Man I wish I could smoke cigars in the stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.