Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Dreaded Hollow Spot >

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Old 11-06-2003, 06:28 AM

Default RE: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Tazman,

I think everyone who thinks that dead spot is under the spine mistakenly thinks the backbone runs along the very top of the back. I think the dead spot is actually OVER the spine.

Take a look at this link
http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

(I' m going to have to quit posting this guy' s link with out giving him some credit! lol)

Dac
Old 11-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, I can' t believe ILSQ2 remembered his password!!

He was shooting from a stand, but the stand is about 5 ft off of the ground. It is known as the " Low Stand" .

Not like 4pt, I am not going to argue with you guys. I only know what my buddy tells me and to him hunting is life. More to him than what it is to most of you guys on here and when he tells me he hit him high and not forward or back, I really never have to question his judment. The deer he explained the night he shot it isn' t a normal deer for his area and to see another over a month later is a 1 in a Million chance.

If you don' t believe in the hollow spot, good for you......but just remember someday when you can' t find a deer that was hit high, there is always that chance.

And for you 4pt....I resemble that remark!![]
Old 11-06-2003, 06:39 AM

I think i caught a little bit of the loin because the arrow did not pass through.
there is about 8 inches of arrow still in him
Sounds like bone rather than loin. I sure hope loin will not stop your setup from passing thru.

I too am not a " dead spot" believer. And from a tree stand forget it!

Even if it goes against what your eyes saw - I would guess an over the spine hit into the vertebre.

Either way I feel for you and congrats on your other deer
Old 11-06-2003, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/woo...ot.jpg&.view=t

I can not view the other anatomy of a deer link, but this link is excellent as far as agreeing with every deer I have ever dealt with. The only places I can see to slide one through with no vitals being hit are forward of the kill zone or back.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well what do you know, I actually uploaded it!!!!

Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 AM

This is what I' m talking about.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:26 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I' m not sure exactly how many medical professionals and vets have to state that there is no " void" above the lungs and below the spine before this myth will die. No disrespect, but the fact that so many bowhunters keep swearing by it simply reinforces the notion that some folks hunt animals who' s anatomy they don' t have a good knowledge of.

But hey, I once heard a story about a giant catfish that ate skuba divers, so I guess anything' s possible.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:28 AM

Just butcher your own deer. There aren' t any hollow spots except inside the windpipe.

I think if people substituted " non lethal" for " hollow" it would be more accurate. A non-lethal shot is a bad shot. Calling it the " hollow spot" makes it sound like a trick of fate that the hunter didn' t get the deer. I don' t think people are necessarily trying to say that but that' s what it sounds like. I shot two deer last year right through the lungs with the rifle and they never bled a drop until they dropped. If I hadn' t recovered them, could I have blamed the hollow spot?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the contrary, you can pass an arrow under the spine and not hit the lungs. This will depend on multiple factors, including the exhale/inhale state of the deer, the shoulder position, and the actual anatomy of the individual.

With that said, the arrow that passes under the spine and does not hit lung still punctures the pleural cavity. The pleural cavity, in mammals, is responsible for providing lubrication and maintaining air pressure for the lungs to properly inflate/deflate. Puncture this cavity and the animal will surely die, albeit a slow death, as the lungs will collapse given time. Basically the animal dies not to blood loss, but due to asphyxia.

There are hollow spots above the spine, and you can angle an arrow between the shoulder and vitals if the animals is steeply quartering away with his head down. You can also hit below the pleural cavity.

Other than that, it is merely a muscle shot that missed the vital region all together. If you hit behind the diaphragm you may actually miss vitals altogether, and the intestinal cavity is separated from the pleural cavity thereby protecting the lungs.

Many of these misses are dependent on the individual deer, anatomically, genetically and position-wise. The amount of fat on a deer also makes a difference, as subcutaneous fat is layed down within different reserve areas within each individual (hence, that' s why some men/women have a large butt and others have a large gutt!)

S&R
Old 11-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Rico signing in to confirm the Hollow spot IE the dead zone. Hit a Doe At 15 yards high and Behind the shoulder. Arrow went all the way through and stuck in a small sapling. She broke the arrow in her exit and i clearly saw my red Fletching. She was not hit in the shoulder.

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.