Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public 9pt

Old 10-16-2019, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Public 9pt

Was lucky enough to take this 9 last Friday on some Oklahoma public land. 18 yrd shot and piled up in 14 yrds. Had him showing up on camera religiously the last week and seemed to be playing cat and mouse for a couple days before he slipped up. Even had trail cam pics of him being in front of the camera 5 min before I walked in front of it. He seemed to show up in this spot at 2 pm daily.
Attached Thumbnails Public 9pt-trail-cam-2.jpg   Public 9pt-downed-deer1.jpg  
Old 10-16-2019, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

That's a cool looking buck Kelly. Nice one.

Is Oklahoma a one buck state?

-Jake
Old 10-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That's a cool looking buck Kelly. Nice one.

Is Oklahoma a one buck state?

-Jake

We are allowed 2 bucks and 4 doe. Basically 6 deer but only 2 can be bucks. All can be taken with archery or 1 buck and 2 or 1 doe (depending on location) for muzzleloader and the same for rifle.There is also a special rifle doe season where you are allowed 1 doe and it does not count against your limit.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on a fine buck, best of luck getting a second one and soem doe
Old 10-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thank ya. I have been seeing at least 14 doe every sit at that spot but I too much of a weenie to kill one back in there. The drag out is brutal and 99% of my hunting I am by myself. Its only a half mile as the crow flies but the grass/weeds are around chest high the whole way with a few fences, hills and draws to contend with. Plenty of other spots to keep an eye on though to finish filling the freezer if work will allow me some time. Doing a research project that Congress has passed down to us and unfortunately the way the approval process worked we are having to do in thru November and December. Plus I am having to make a trip to Atlantic City for a dang conference the last week in October.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I went out for a late season doe hunt once. Public land, a place I had never been. I used maps and Google Earth to "scout it out" and thought I'd found a good spot. I was going to go out a ridge and drop into a deep ravine with a creek off the backside. I figured it didn't get much pressure because any drag would be a long one, uphill.

My plan was to park the truck right at day break and still hunt my way back in. Everything worked as planned. And two hours later I was down in that creek bottom with a doe in my scope. I whispered "bang", ate my sandwich, and hiked my lazy butt back out of that hole.

Definitely wasn't worth shooting a doe back there (for me at least). Nice spot though.

-Jake