Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire >

Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Old 09-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Spike

Default Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Hey Everyone,

I moved to Montana a few years ago and finally gained access to some hunting property on a ranch. To get to my hunting spots, I have to cross barbed wire about 3 times. This is a new activity for me and I am clearly not good at it. I cut my hand pretty good my second time out and even snagged my clothes a few times. Going over the top seems too dangerous for my privates and going in between causes snags on clothing. Going under feels safest but I have to get on my stomach, which will be harder when snow is on the ground or if there is debris. Do you guys have any tips for how to safely cross fences? Also, I am curious as to how many of you have ruined clothing or acquired injuries while crossing barbed wire fences. I imagine this is a problem for a lot of bird hunters, or anyone hunting on farms. I'm usually hunting alone so I don't have a buddy to help spread out the barbed wire for me to sneak between. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Alex G.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the wire has slack/play in it, I usually choose to go between or under. Laying something on the bottom strand helps if going in between strands. If strung tightly, I climb over right up against the sturdiest nearby post.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

This above!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Spike

Pool ladder. I keep one set up over a fence I cross to get to my best stand