Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer antlers

Old 05-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Spike

Default deer antlers

Do deer recognize antlers. Could I use Deer Antlers (spray painted orange) to get the attention of a buck. I realize this poses a safety hazard and I am not talking about wearing them on my head, or having them anywhere near me for that matter when they are outside my pack.

I have been told in alaska caribou recognize antlers.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I seriously doubt it. Why in the world would fluorescent orange antlers mean any thing to a deer? The whole point of hunters wearing fluorescent orange is because deer can't see the color and people can! How could you get the attention of a buck if he can't see what you are trying to show him?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fluorescent orange does not make items invisible to a whitetail.

Sure they recognize antlers. Doe and buck decoys are used at various times during hunting season depending upon the rut. A large racked decoy can keep smaller, immature, and "bullied" bucks at bay.

I suspect you mean antlers only. I've seen moose hunters using nothing but antlers or a canoe paddle. Turkey hunters using fans only. Seems like a trial and error situation. I'm not going to rush out and try it.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

" I've seen moose hunters using nothing but antlers or a canoe paddle" These are not for visual attractants they are for making noise like a bull thrashing the brush. Carrying around a set of deer antlers will do nothing to attract a deer, buck or doe. He did not mention using them for rattling, just having them as a visual attractant. A set of antlers not attached to a deer or decoy will only attract chuckles.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/jim-s...l-moose-video/
Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah yeah, I know that sometimes some moose hunters rock a pair of antlers back and forth to try to convince another Bull to come in, however, we are talking about whitetail deer and they are not moose and perhaps you saw where the OP said he would not have the antlers near him.