Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Questions about arrows for a target recurve setup >

Questions about arrows for a target recurve setup

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions about arrows for a target recurve setup

Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 PM
Spike

Default Questions about arrows for a target recurve setup

Hey guys, Ive been shooting instinctive/intuitive style archery for 4 years now, I’ve gotten pretty decent and a little while back I saw a sale on an intro target bow, so I bought it and have a little set up for it. I’m just a little uncertain about a few things relating to arrows. The bow is 34lbs (heavy I know) and 66 inches amo I have a 28inch draw. My questions are:
  1. What spine should I be looking for? I found a chart on one manufacturers site saying maybe 750 or higher.
  2. I was looking at a few arrows on Lancaster and their “Olympic style” arrows seem to use points of about 50 grains, is that right? On my trad rig I’m shooting 150s.
  3. What type of fletching is most common? I know I want to use feathers, but what size do I need them? I’m shooting 3x5” on my trad set up but I know I don’t need that much!
Thanks for helping me out!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:57 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know a lot about target archery, I have always been a hunter and shot a recurve and selfbow for many years with homemade arrows.

1. 34# isn't that heavy. The rule was 10# over in spine for a center shot bow many times, but at 34# you may only be 7# or so, maybe 5#.
2. I don't know she-it about Olympic arrows. On a quick look they appear to be minimal fletched arrows. Fletching is only on the arrows to slow down the back and stabilize it quicker and impart spin. If your arrows are very closely matched to your bow the archery paradox will be minimal and not require much fletching. Small fletching equals les drag and a flatter shot. Unless you need a more forgiving arrow as you would in hunting. Read up on choosing spine for arrows and bare shaft testing.
3. Small Parabolic is probably the most common as similar to what I explained above. Minimal drag on a tuned setup. Every drop in 25 grains of the point will stiffen the dynamic spine of the arrow by 5#. SO a 50 grain point would make your trad setup shoot like the arrow was 20# stiffer in spine.

Consider you are going to need to be able to measure spine and adjust them. two nails in a wall at 26" and a 2# weight with line son the wall can be a spine tester. Sorry I can say buy this arrow, but I hope it helps some.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

That sounds like excellent advice you got from Rob. You can call or if you're close enough, go to Lancaster Archery. Those guys are great and really know their stuff. I dickered in target archery years ago just as a hobby. My bow up was very similar to yours but I just can't remember what spine the arrows were as I bought the set up used and the arrows came with the bow. I do know that at 20 yards using a thumb release I could cluster my arrows in the center of the bull with little difficulty.
Good luck on your future.