Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does anyone have any ideas for building ladder stand? >

Does anyone have any ideas for building ladder stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone have any ideas for building ladder stand?

Old 11-04-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Does anyone have any ideas for building ladder stand?

I need to build about four ladder stands for my new lease. If anyone has plans or material list they can email me to give me some ideas I would appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Does anyone have any ideas for building ladder stand?

I would go and get a metal ladder stand. You can get 12 footers for 70 bucks and they are lite weight and easy to carry i ans set up. Lumber is expensive and then you have to build ithe stand and it is real heavy. Then you have to start repairing it in about 5 years.
good luck
Old 11-04-2003, 10:59 AM
TWC

Not knowing what your fab skills are or what specific materials you are referring to but this would be my material list:

Perforated Steel (floor)
1x1 in. square tubing (legs, braces & steps)
Ratchet straps

those are basics

The most expensive part to the ladder stand is the perforated steel. Expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 60 dollars for a 4x8 sheet. But the tubing is fairly inexpensive.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with 3point. A basic ladder can be had for $60-70. For about $100 you can get one with a shooting rail. Just work the hours you would spend building ladders and you will be way ahead.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

We used to have a guy who made them out of conduit for us.... but like others have said, you can buy a good, breakdown ladder stand these days for less than you can buy materials to make one. Don' t put yourself through so much trouble, just buy them. If you don' t want to spring for all of them at one time, buy a couple. I don' t know what kind of trees you have, but these things come in sizes from 10 feet to 16 or so. They come with or without separate standing platforms. If you find the cheapest are without a separate seat, you can make one from 2x4s and small scraps of half inch plywood that can be attached to the tree trunk with a support arm resting on the stand platform or back against the tree at the platform back.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:31 PM

I made a ladder stand with part of a ladder from a silo, and a small pallet, i dont know what the pallet was from, it was really small like 2ftX2ft or something like that, and added a seat to the tree and it worked great the year i used it, until the ants took over the next year, but thats another story all together.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:45 PM

I know a guy who owns a carriage care bussiness( he fixes grocery carts) he has been making stands out of those for years, they are very stable and for him cheap(I' m not suggesting stealing grocery carts). he would use screw in steps or strap on steps. if your thrifts you can probably get a broken ladder at the local dump. someone is always throwing broken ladders away. hey it beats spending 60$ of 70$ on one.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Search links for BBK Hunting System. Saw a few days ag they had aluma steel stand that only weighed about 22 lbs. with a 300 lb. weight cap. Also they had steel stand for about $60 or so dollars. Go to other links as Rusty Faulk Outdoors and they are even a little cheaper.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I built about 10 ladderstands out of thin wall conduit, here are some pics, they cost around $40-$55 depending on the material. Ive tried other ladder stands and as far as beings stabil and the size of the platform Id put my stands up against any stand my by a pro. manufacture. My buddy weighs well over 300lbs and has no problem using these stands.