Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bizarre things in the woods.....? >

Bizarre things in the woods.....?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bizarre things in the woods.....?

Old 11-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bizarre things in the woods.....?

Seems that this site is an excellent way to not only get valuable advise and information, but actually continue the hunt in your mind after you' re out of the woods, which for freaks like me, is cool. Just wondering what the most bizarre or unique things people have seen in the woods.

This of course preceeds a funny story that happened to me the other night: I was nestled in my stand being the tree listening for deer and of course, after an hour on stand, the squirrels had me about insane. Then the magic happened. I heard a heavier animal than a squirrel making it' s way through the open grass clearing in the middle of the woods. I knew it was a deer. I was looking through the trees into the grass area trying to spot the beast and finally, yes, brown legs just on the other side of the clearing 80 yards out. He was heading away from me so I hit the grunt call. To my amazement the critter turned and walked back into the clearing as I' m thinking, " wow, he' s going to come back this way!" When he emerged from the thick brush into the clearing I saw the biggest deer I' ve ever seen in the wild. After shaking my head several times in amazement, I realized it was in fact, a horse. After 24 years of hunting, I never expected that.

I am also an owl magnet - no matter where I hunt, the owls find me. Most often landing in the tree I' m in or dive bombing me to get a closer look. I once had a 5 minute conversation with a great horned owl who landed on the limb next to my stand less than 10 feet away. He told me I wasn' t fooling anyone.

I' d like to hear your stories. Shoot straight and God Bless.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Bizarre things in the woods.....?

I had a squirl run up the tree I was in and when it stopped its tail was next to my cheek. I thought it was going to walk right over me.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:36 PM

house cat back in the woods which is 2 miles back in the woods cat was white and black.crazy cat coyotes seen this cat the cat would be dead.'

go deep hunt hard.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back, I was sitting in my stand and shortly after daylight I started to feel peices of bark hit me in the head. I sat there very still as I knew it was squirrels starting to stir in the tree. They were making a heck of a racket above me dropping bark and who knows what on my head. Then, all of a sudden this big fat grey squirrel landed on my lap and jumped to the next tree and started barking at me! [] Lunchtime rolled around and after a change of underwear, I was back at it for the evening hunt.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 PM

At the beginning of last years season, i had gotten to my treestand about 30 minutes before daylight. i had been working my butt off at work and soon fell asleep in my stand. i was awoken by what sounded like a deer scraping the ground close to me. i just couldn' t figue out what it was. after about a minute i looked down to see a huge female coon and three of her young ones making their way up the tree that i was sitting in! i didn' t want that thing anywhere near me. i seen what they can do to a dog, and i wanted no part in it. i took an arrow out and when she got close enough i poked her in the head. she didn' t know what to think about that one. she did a complete 180 and headed for the ground. needless to say she was pleasantly surprised!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well when I was 19 or 20 a friend and I were hunting this big farm and as we were heading back we heard this ruckus over where the farmer had his dumping area, we were squirrel hunting and I had loaned my friend my 22 and I had a 12 gauge. Well we started towards the commotion and through the brush I saw black fur, I hunkered down and told Bob, I think its a bear, I reloaded my 12 gauge with slugs and told Bob to stay behind my and unload the 22 into him if he charged after I unloaded. Well we kept sneaking in closer and closer to this huge black bear, it was pretty thick and all I could see was black fur moving around rooting through this dump. Well we got within about 10-15 yards from this bear when suddenly he raised his head and let out the loudest MOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I had ever heard, Bob and I liked to have dumped in our drawers! Then we stood up and laughed at each other till we cried, this black angus had scared the crap out of us. Thank the lord I had enough sense to verify my target before shooting because if I had shot that angus the farmer would have had my arse!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taz--same thing happened to me this past spring while turkey hunting in Western MD. After hearing all the farmer' s bear stories the day before, I was SURE I was seeing the biggest black bear I' ve ever seen--until it moo-ed like yours did.

I DID see 4 black bears yesterday down near your way-on Skyline Drive. The deer were conspicuous by their absence.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 AM

here' s one for ya,
I was sitting in my stand one morning. It was about 2 hours into the hunt and I started hearing sirens all over the place from a distance. I thought there must have been an accident or bad fire pretty close by. Sitting there wondering what the heck was going on and I hear all kinds of commotion coming through the woods. 2 guys in orange jumpsuits came flying by my stand as fast as they could. Tripping over logs and just crashing through. They were being followed by about 10 zillion cops chasing them. Apparantely there was an escape from the county jail which is about 5 miles away from the property. Dont' ever think I' ll see a stranger thing on stand again. Needless to say, hunting wasn' t very good that day.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 AM

Back when I was in high school (when I was a teenager that knew everything there is to know) I was sitting against a tree deer hunting. Being the smart guy I was I sprayed tinks 69 on a moss covered rock right next to me - the deer would have to come right up to me to get a good whiff! Shortly after daylight a groundhog came up with no regard to me what-so-ever and started rolling on that mossy rock. He was kicking me and using me for leverage as he tried everything in his power to get that odor all over him. He was making all kinds of grunting sounds. He walked away all pround of his find and never knew I was there. And, no I didn' t see any deer that day.

Quick Reply: Bizarre things in the woods.....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.