Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pet Cat Odor

Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 AM
Spike

Default Pet Cat Odor

Long story short, my beloved daughter’s cat is in my garage... Along with the cat, the litter box. All in the garage with my hunting clothes. And my tree stand.

Daughter isn’t as freaking diligent with the litter box as she should be.

Just shoot me.

I purchased two really nice Rivers West jackets last year... that now smell like cat spray.

Recommendations?! Please help!

Unfortunately, “target practice” is not a valid option 🤣😈

Last edited by rlmx; 10-16-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get rid of the cats first, then wash your clothing.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe build a "cathouse" (like a doghouse) in your backyard and tell your daughter the cat has been evicted from the garage?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Not much use for cats. Lose the cat and get a dog.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:18 AM
Spike

CalHunter, IMO you have the best suggestion. Can't just oust the cat. The relationship is strained as it is. My preference would be to take it to a shelter (well, that isn't my first preference, but I will not say what I probably shouldn't say out loud).

But as for washing the clothes... like wash them 100 times? Somebody suggested washing them with a cup of vinegar first. I don't know why that was suggested.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try Oxi clean
Old 10-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rlmx
CalHunter, IMO you have the best suggestion. Can't just oust the cat. The relationship is strained as it is. My preference would be to take it to a shelter (well, that isn't my first preference, but I will not say what I probably shouldn't say out loud).

But as for washing the clothes... like wash them 100 times? Somebody suggested washing them with a cup of vinegar first. I don't know why that was suggested.
Old rancid Cat pee smells like ammonia, Vinegar will neutralize some of the smell, But I think it will take more than a cup.

If the vinegar won't work I've used a couple of dishwasher soap tabs in with the wash. Seems to work better than Bleach for killing odors in pet bedding.

I'd be careful what I mix with Ammonia or Urea, plain Vinegar is unlikely to cause any issues, mixing other chemicals, who knows. I do know mixing Ammonia with chlorine makes some nasty stuff. And Urea or Ammonium Nitrate can burn with a boom, especially the crystals in cotton.

I hang my hunting clothes outside under the patio roof in the shade. About the safest place I can think of so they don't pick people or pet odors.