Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Cant find my deer >

Cant find my deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cant find my deer

Old 10-06-2018, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you may have hit that deer in the “black hole”. Its happened to me twice over the years. Its the area of a deer above the lungs but below the spine. It contains no vitals just meat. Ull have blood for a lil while, possibly cuz u may have clipped one lung but then blood will peter out. I would go back with a trail dog if possible and start where u shot the deer. If no dog i would grid search where u lost blood.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always had luck tracking the route he most likely took. Generally a hit deer will follow a direction and most of the time along an established run especially if the area is thick. I normally am looking for jump marks in the dirt or leaves if no blood is there. If there aren't fresh hoof marks I check the next run and so on. A running deer always leaves fresh marks. At some point when the life lights are going out the hard hit deer will often jump off and curl up in a thicket or blow down and die. What really sucks is 3 days later when the birds are gathering and you find it all picked apart especially if you were close to finding it. Hard to see the brown especially if they are curled up but look through the thickets for anything white even if very small. Normally unless you are in with birches nothing white will be in thickets at least here in Vermont
Old 10-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have walked within feet of them, probably all have. I have stepped over small blood too. I had one ten right after being shot with rifle. It was pia , only went 30 yards. But I was so sure I could just find it.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grasping at straws asking people on a hunting forum to help find a shot deer and speculate where it was hit. Yes, sometimes the blood indicates an organ. But, only way to possibly find your deer is to get off the computer and search. Sounds like you are likely in body search mode. Walk in arcs and look into/under all brush piles.

Tried a dog last season for a friend who made a bad shot. Dog may have helped keep on the trail a bit. Deer was never found. Dog likely not trained as well as some. It is a lab. I believe a blood trailing hound is the ticket.

Not a good feeling at all. I can empathize.