Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Elk hunt with bow >

Elk hunt with bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk hunt with bow

Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Spike

Default Elk hunt with bow

How many of you are Heading to Colorado to bow hunt elk third season which I consider the 8th through the 13th?
can anybody give me any info on unit 80 and 81 this will be my first time in those unit!
I will be hunting out of a lodge so thaY set my date but I’m my own hunting public land. Going in from the east side.
Going to continue hunting after that date also on my own.
would you sit by a Wallow or next to a tank?
Do you like to call or prefer no noises?
I know it’s like mushroom hunting you’re not about to give up your spot but I’m not asking for that just some helpful guidance.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Spike

Default I'm looking to go on a unguided elk hunt also and looking for people to go with ? Can

Can anyone suggest were to find other hunters willing to go along with
Old 07-29-2018, 10:13 PM
Spike

I have heard Idaho can be good. You'll need to be aware of the areas that got hit by wolves. I do not know an outfitter but with Idaho's unit draw being a no point system you'll be looking at OTC units.

If I were you I'd look at WY. With 2 years to get Points you'll probably be a lock for a General tag in the standard draw and since you are hiring an outfitter you can go into the wilderness. My buddy missed a giant last year and is going back this year with the same outfitter. They even added a high country Mule Deer Rifle hunt to the end of the archery Elk hunt(assuming they draw the region tag).

Another benefit for WY is when you draw a tag it is valid for bow or any weapon season. If you were to select the right outfitter there are some Gen units that have a late Sept rifle opener for Elk.